Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Year Two Topics

I am currently year one and moving to year two next year. Unfortunately the new year one teacher is going to be using all of the topics that I have covered this year (dinosaurs, pirates, fairytales, minibeasts and Africa) so I can't do them again! Just wandered what topics people have done in year two or are going to do next year?

I am currently year one and moving to year two next year. Unfortunately the new year one teacher is going to be using all of the topics that I have covered this year (dinosaurs, pirates, fairytales, minibeasts and Africa) so I can't do them again! Just wandered what topics people have done in year two or are going to do next year?

Hi am currently teaching year 1/2- Did you teach dinosaurs- Have an assessment lesson next tues in non- fiction about dinosaurs- Am teaching to phase two from PLS- Hae you got any idea what l could do- They have been finding out facts about dinosaurs from books- What would you do??? Many thank sxx

Oh I love dinosaurs!!!! Was such an amazing topic and I saw such an improvement in their writing because they couldnt get enough of it! I don't really follow the PNS (naughty I know!) is that the gathering information part?

Oh I love dinosaurs!!!! Was such an amazing topic and I saw such an improvement in their writing because they couldnt get enough of it! I don't really follow the PNS (naughty I know!) is that the gathering information part?

Yeah apparently have to get writing a non- chronological report and do a bit of talk for writing- what is that???

Have you got any plans at all- would be so greatful to look at anything related to this topic- As well am in need of help xxx

Guest LornaW

We have a topic called Metamorphosis - children loved the word and it was all about changes etc another was called Splish splash Splosh so all about water etc and Fun food Factory! all very broad so they could go which ever way the children were interested!

Lorna

Yeah apparently have to get writing a non- chronological report and do a bit of talk for writing- what is that???

Have you got any plans at all- would be so greatful to look at anything related to this topic- As well am in need of help xxx

When I did this we started by getting the Head to come in all excited with a letter from a Professor at a museum saying they used DNA to re-create some pterodactyl dinosaurs but they escaped and had been spotted near our school (I would love to take credit for this but it was someone elses marveloous idea!) This got the children really excited and we all went out to see if we could spot it (lots of speaking and listening!)

Then one of the children spotted some pterodactyl eggs in the corenr of the playground (melons painted white!) We brough these into class and did loads of different activitis about it (some planned and some child initiated):

Weighiing the eggs to telll the professor how big they are - had to work out which was the best equipment to use.

Measuring (same as above)

Completing fact files with this information with details about the eggs, where we found them and an observational drawing.

Writing a letter to the professor telling him what we had found.

One group working with the TA on how to use a non-fiction book to find out information about the pterodactyl, focusing on the different aspects.

HA using internet and books to research the pterodactyl.

These activities lasted a couple of mornings then I made an IWB book about a tyrannosaurus rex with all of the different aspects of a non-fiction text. We then spent the next week researching the pterodactyl dinosaur from books, internet and hand outs, before writing our own non-fiction text (HA had to make a mini book - some of it typed, and the LA had to make a group one).

Was really good and because they were so excited and engaged with it their writing was fab!

If you can get your hands on Bumposaurus then I would defo do that for fiction! After reading the book I pretended that I found a dinosaur egg with a dinosaur puppet in with bandages on and half of a diary entry. Children had to complete the diary (started something like 'I was climbing out of my egg when.....) was good because the HA could really use their imagination, whilst the LA could base it on what had happened in the book.

Hope that helps!

We have a topic called Metamorphosis - children loved the word and it was all about changes etc another was called Splish splash Splosh so all about water etc and Fun food Factory! all very broad so they could go which ever way the children were interested!

Lorna

Fantastic ideas love the Fun Food Factory sounds really fun!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)