Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Help Required!

Hi,

Hope people remember me- was supposed to have observation today but was cancelled for - well have not got the foggieest why?

But my plan was to get phase 1 of a non- fiction unit of teaching taught this week and hten move onto phase two whic is ;

Phase 2 Learning outcome:

Analyse how information texts work, particularly non-chronological reports, focusing on layout and language features. Use talk for writing, with digital pictures to remind children of content, and practise composing sentences orally in the style of the text.

So now have the joy of starting from scratch for an assessment which is due now next week- In mean time am supposed to have covered phase 1 this week of the unit- l think???

It mentions talk for writing was is this???

Also l teach in mixed class year 1/2 no idea what to do for this??

My topic l am teaching is Dinosaurs- Feeling pretty deflated as my lesson which l had planned is now left in pile and well not used as have had to move on since today so l can show have been teaching the topic.

So now up to this phase- Has anyone taught this phase on this topic with any plans- Helllppp xxx

Sorry to hear your observation was cancelled! I'm sure that was so annoying after all the effort you have gone to.

Why do you have to do what you have said? Who has told you these objectives? Surely if you are planning for your children based on their next steps you should do what you feel they need and not what someone, a scheme or the like tells you to do. Why didn't you teach the lesson you planned anyway to your class? I'm not in year 1/2 but I know its hard for me to say but my school sounds a lot more flexible with how they plan. Hopefully someone with more experience of this age group will come along and help you.

Who is it that is assessing you? If its in-school then I really wouldn't worry, just teach what and how you usually do!

Good luck! xx

Sorry to hear your observation was cancelled! I'm sure that was so annoying after all the effort you have gone to.

Why do you have to do what you have said? Who has told you these objectives? Surely if you are planning for your children based on their next steps you should do what you feel they need and not what someone, a scheme or the like tells you to do. Why didn't you teach the lesson you planned anyway to your class? I'm not in year 1/2 but I know its hard for me to say but my school sounds a lot more flexible with how they plan. Hopefully someone with more experience of this age group will come along and help you.

Who is it that is assessing you? If its in-school then I really wouldn't worry, just teach what and how you usually do!

Good luck! xx

Hi,

Was in two minds whether to use that lesson l had planned for again on tuesday when l finally get observed- Am an NQT and its one of my formal obseravtions- I agree with you you should teach to their next steps- They have all used a book to find information but not a A4 pice of information text on a selection of dinosaurs- So waas thinking l would do that on Tuesday- Or do some kind of non- chronological report- my school is highly unhlepful and am left to worry on my own with no real support from anyone- My concern is if l teach - the objective- to find the answer to a question from a piece of non- fiction writing- how do you teach a whole class lesson- imean do you enlarge a piece of text that they will be using and ask them whereabouts n the writing is the answer- Have never felt so worreid about one obseravtion but have never been in a really unsupportive environment ever before xx

So awful to hear hpw unsupported you are, its not right. I was an NQT last year so know how difficult it is. I don't really agree with the strategie frameworks as they are too perscriptive so probably not the best person to give advise. Can you do a shared reading for your carpet bit, reading the text they will be using, modelling good reading and asking children to help. Then model how to find an answer to a question. You could either then get the children to write the report you said using the information you found together, or pose a different question for them during the group task. As I'm in reception its quite different.

Lots of luck. If you get nagative feedback from your observation then use it to ask for help - it is your right to have help in yor NQT year, you shouldn't be left to worry like this. Can you not talk to your talk about how your mentor is not supporting you? xx

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)