Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Biting And A Petty Parent

I have a parent that thinks her child is an angel, who does not bite, but shares, or smack other children. She always comes to the nursery complaining that her child is been smacked by other children, and she wants a stop to it. We told her that children would always fight and make up and we are always them to intervene when necessary, but she would not hear of it. She approached a child that was named by her child, and told her you must not push or smack ......... it is not nice. A child has now bitten her child, we informed her and told her to sign the incident book, she said no, she wants the name of the child, we obviously cannot give due to confidentialty, now she wants a meeting why we cannot and she would complaint to the health authority blah blah. Help, and thanks. The child is aged 2, and not timid or shy in anyway if you get want i mean.

this incident was similar to what we had, mother wanting to find out who the child was. So I had to rethink about our Behaviour policies and procedures and quickly draw up an addtional policy regarding biting,kicking, hitting etc also adding in bits about confidentuality, and that most young children are all potential biters.

I would talk her through your policies and procedures especially confidentiality.

Discuss what happened, talk her through the incident and let her know you will look into it. i would also ask all the staff involved to write down what they have seen so its all documented and i would also have a written record of your conversation with the mother. making sure everything is dated and timed... good luck...