Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Help With Safety Manual!

Has anyone done the new PLA accreditation? In section 6.1 e) it says

"A manual about current safety issues is available to staff, parents, committee members and volunteers"

(This is not the policy on safety which is a separate document.)

I asked my mentor about it and she said we have to produce a folder with relevant current government (local and national)/European health and safety issues in it.

She suggests we look for websites and check the EYDCP newsletters, Contact mag etc. Sounds like a lot of work and I'm not quite sure what it's trying to achieve!

Anyway has anyone out there already produced this?

Does anyone have any ideas/wisdom/suggestions for me?

Thanks

carolyn

Just a thought,

as the heading for 6.1 is Raising awareness of safety requirements, I can see where the mentor is coming from. However, the work implications of producing and more importantly updating a manual of information is not really S.M.A.R.T. ( specific, measurable, ACHIEVABLE, REALISTIC, time manageable).

I would suggest having the web site address of HSE, (Health and Safety Executive) and other health and safety organisations sites available for staff, parents, committee members and volunteers. This could be justified by the above S.M.A.R.T. review above.

Also in my setting I do have a folder on our info table of information on health issues found in nursery World / Practical preschool that parents can access, articles such as "Healthy Eating" , "common illnesses" etc. Parents can look at this and ask for copies if required.

Peggy

Thanks Peggy. You helped me think in the right way and I think I have now done a good job of this.

I found a few websites to put in (www.nspcc.org.uk, www.hse.gov.uk, www.keepkidshealthy.com and www.raisingkids.co.uk) and also some articles on Safety and Health issues in Under fives magazines (PLAs monthly magazine). They did a series on Safety in 2003 I found which looks like it is still all relevant, plu s some stuff on diet, domestic violence, teeth, allergies etc). I can see now that I have done it this will be a useful document to show to a new employee who has not worked in this area before, or to a parent helper.

Carolyn

Glad I read this topic. I thought my health and safety rep had done all the bits for her section of the accredation process. Should have known better :o:(xD

Now know what I need to find for it. Will just add, when the Health and Safety rep from our local council called he gave me loads of usefull leaflets.

Gizzy

You could also include your PLA risk assessment sheet if you have the one that comes with PLA Insurance. or your own depending on it's size.

Glad I could help. :)

Peggy

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with Peggy, the HASAWA website provides some fantastic information which will undoubtedly help you - very clear and concise and it gives all the relevant Acts and their implications that we need to be aware of.

Nikki

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)