Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Reception Planning

Guest eck1975

Guest eck1975

Calling EYFS teachers!

How far ahead do you plan? And, how detailed?

We (all teachers, all year groups) have to hand in our Planning folders on a Monday morning, for the week ahead. So I have been planning every (individual) session for Monday - Thursday, sometimes Friday as well, sometimes leaving Friday or at least half of it as 'finishing off' time, but I am finding that I very rarely get through what I have planned. Maybe planning too much!? (I had mixed Reception & Y1 for the previous two years, but class is just Reception this year).

I spend pretty much all day & evening planning (rarely use my PPA for planning, as usually end up using this for Subject Leader things), which does get me down I have to admit, but my main concern is not using daily observations effectively to feed into my planning/not always being able to follow the children's interests ...

I totally understand that the Head wants to check that planning is done, and the standard of planning, and that it's consistent across the school etc, but I don't feel I'm getting it quite right!?

Just wondered whether anyone else has to hand in planning for the week ahead, how far ahead people plan, and to what detail. Is it ok to put on the planning that X is the starting point and the plan is to see where the children take it from there? I do do that occasionally, but tends to be more for Creative or Designing & Making activities. Maybe I am too much in the mindset of 'literacy' and 'numeracy' from two years of having Y1 as well.

I really, really want to get EYFS right and do what's right/best for the children, so any comments, guidance, opinions will be gratefully accepted!

Many thanks,

Calling EYFS teachers!

We (all teachers, all year groups) have to hand in our Planning folders on a Monday morning, for the week ahead.

Just wondered whether anyone else has to hand in planning for the week ahead, how far ahead people plan, and to what detail. Is it ok to put on the planning that X is the starting point and the plan is to see where the children take it from there? I do do that occasionally, but tends to be more for Creative or Designing & Making activities. Maybe I am too much in the mindset of 'literacy' and 'numeracy' from two years of having Y1 as well.

Hi- I am in a similar boat to you-Well I was until recently. My head wanted mon-Thurs planning in on a mon morning and that's what I did, but had same problems as you. I went to the head and explained that I was planning and replanning over the week and was worried about time used for this rather than other things. She agreed that i could hand in an overview sheet- basically says what the learning intentions will be in each AOL for the week. Then each day I give her my daily plan, so by the end of the week she has the whole lot. It is worth talking to your head about it- they may not change what they want but it is worth a try in case they do! Some people hate daily plans but it is the best thing I have ever done- I used to replan forever which seems pointless to me, and I don't agree with sticking to a plan if you know it is wrong or there is something more appropriate to do. Hope that helps- if you want formats/templates just let me know!

We adapted our medium-term planning format so it is a working document through the term. We put suggested activities next to learning intentions in the end of the week and highlight if did it/record whatever's been added as we go.

I use a planning book where I put next steps, current interests and check it each evening to see if planning needs adapting.

We are not asked to submit planning though which is a good thing as there would have been lots of photocopying.

Guest eck1975

Thank you for your replies!

You have both given me food for thought ... hmm definitely need to have a good think about what is more workable ... and need to speak to Head. Suspect it would be everyone else that would have something to say if i didn't have to hand in a weeks worth of planning when they do!?

Thanks again, this forum is brill!

• 2 weeks later...

Freefaller, I am very interested in your way of planning, could you show me an example of your medium term planner - I am guessing you use this on a weekly basis? And your planning book- does it have a format or is it simply your records?

Thanks

Jo

We adapted our medium-term planning format so it is a working document through the term. We put suggested activities next to learning intentions in the end of the week and highlight if did it/record whatever's been added as we go.

I use a planning book where I put next steps, current interests and check it each evening to see if planning needs adapting.

We are not asked to submit planning though which is a good thing as there would have been lots of photocopying.

• 1 month later...
Hi- I am in a similar boat to you-Well I was until recently. My head wanted mon-Thurs planning in on a mon morning and that's what I did, but had same problems as you. I went to the head and explained that I was planning and replanning over the week and was worried about time used for this rather than other things. She agreed that i could hand in an overview sheet- basically says what the learning intentions will be in each AOL for the week. Then each day I give her my daily plan, so by the end of the week she has the whole lot. It is worth talking to your head about it- they may not change what they want but it is worth a try in case they do! Some people hate daily plans but it is the best thing I have ever done- I used to replan forever which seems pointless to me, and I don't agree with sticking to a plan if you know it is wrong or there is something more appropriate to do. Hope that helps- if you want formats/templates just let me know!

Hi, having read your post, I wonder whether it would be possible to have a look at the planning formats you use, as I have been been agonising over planning for a long time. I would really appreciate your help. Many thanks

I would really appreciate it if I could have a look at the format you use too. Am recently new to FS2 after 13 years in KS2 and am so used to having all mapped out. Am really enjoying FS way of working, reacting to interests and events more than was able to previously but do understand the need to record what is happening. Also OFSTED wanted children's CI activities more closely tracked which I am finding difficult to do so your book idea might be helpful there too. You seem to have a good balance ! Thank you !

Hi, having read your post, I wonder whether it would be possible to have a look at the planning formats you use, as I have been been agonising over planning for a long time. I would really appreciate your help. Many thanks

hope this works- hopefully it is self explanatory but do let me know if you want any more information or have any more questions.

weekly_overview_master.doc

daily_plan.doc

hope this works- hopefully it is self explanatory but do let me know if you want any more information or have any more questions.

Misc I was just looking at your planning. When is you child initiated time? Are those morning activities for the groups rotated around with a group working with you and the rest doing CI play, or do they all happen at the same time?

I was just wondering the same thing. I struggle to get through 1 adult led task per child in a morning let alone two! However, I don't operate my day like you. I don't actually ever a group working without an adult if its adult led - do people think this is something that should be happening? x

Guest LornaW

I know it is sometimes difficult in a primary school to convince the SMT that child initiated timei s a valuable time and that while the adults are playing with the children they are actually enabling the learning. In a reception class there should a a good balance about 50:50 but no less that 40:60 in my humble opinion as this is when we can see what interests children. By using the principles in Shared Sustained Thinking all of the adults will make an excellent contribution to the learning.

If the adults take children out into small groups while the rest of the children have child initiated then the adults are not supporting the learning and childrens interests will not be recognised.

This is a great document http://downloads.nationalstrategies.co.uk....c59eab23ce0.pdf and well worth sharing in a school.

Sorry to get on my bandwagon but the children in reception are as youhng as 48 months old!!!! So CI time is the most valuable time for them.

Lorna

I know it is sometimes difficult in a primary school to convince the SMT that child initiated timei s a valuable time and that while the adults are playing with the children they are actually enabling the learning. In a reception class there should a a good balance about 50:50 but no less that 40:60 in my humble opinion as this is when we can see what interests children. By using the principles in Shared Sustained Thinking all of the adults will make an excellent contribution to the learning.

If the adults take children out into small groups while the rest of the children have child initiated then the adults are not supporting the learning and childrens interests will not be recognised.

This is a great document http://downloads.nationalstrategies.co.uk....c59eab23ce0.pdf and well worth sharing in a school.

Sorry to get on my bandwagon but the children in reception are as youhng as 48 months old!!!! So CI time is the most valuable time for them.

Lorna

This is an interesting reply- not ure where in the country (or world!) you are but I am in Kent and the advisory service is very clear about importance of supporting CIT and extending, questioning, supporting the chn's play. They are very much against having focus group activities taking place alongside CIT, although from reading other posts I know many settings do this. They suggest that you have CIT standing alone, while all adults support the play and carry out obs etc, and then have a part of the day for small group activities, where focused adlt led activities happen and others work independently at adult initiated activities. I also lik the fact that the chn can have long periods of play without interuptions "come and do you painting/writing now please" and find the chn are much more focused on their adult activity becasue they are not annoyed at being pulled away and they are not in a rush to get back.

Guest LornaW

I am in Kent also and reading your reply I think it looks like you are agreeing with me missc - so I think your daily plan is only showing us your adult led times as looking through I couldn't find the CI time hence my reply.

Lorna

I am in Kent also and reading your reply I think it looks like you are agreeing with me missc - so I think your daily plan is only showing us your adult led times as looking through I couldn't find the CI time hence my reply.

Lorna

Sorry for all the confusion- didn't read all the replies before writing my own reply! The daily plan is only the adult led part of the day- the CIT doesn't feature on this plan. I agree it is too adult led, despite my best efforts, I was still directed by SMT (despite being part of it) to have an additional session (the 9.10am part) in the final part of the summer term. For the rest of the year we usually have CIT then as well. hope that clarifies! Have attatched a copy of my weekly timetable to help.

timetable_autumn_1st_10.doc

Guest LornaW
Sorry for all the confusion- didn't read all the replies before writing my own reply! The daily plan is only the adult led part of the day- the CIT doesn't feature on this plan.

Aha! problem solved!

missc have you ever thought of abandoning playtime to give the children more CI? I know this is controversial in some schools but I also know that schools who have done this find the day flows so much better as the fewer transitions in the day the better for children and adults.

Lorna

Aha! problem solved!

missc have you ever thought of abandoning playtime to give the children more CI? I know this is controversial in some schools but I also know that schools who have done this find the day flows so much better as the fewer transitions in the day the better for children and adults.

Lorna

we actually only go out for 1 playtime a week- on weds and that's for a number of reasons because we are small school. We find the morning flows much better than before when we went out to play everyday, and would definitely recomend dropping it if possible.

Calling EYFS teachers!

We (all teachers, all year groups) have to hand in our Planning folders on a Monday morning, for the week ahead. So I have been planning every (individual) session for Monday - Thursday, sometimes Friday as well, sometimes leaving Friday or at least half of it as 'finishing off' time, but I am finding that I very rarely get through what I have planned. Maybe planning too much!? (I had mixed Reception & Y1 for the previous two years, but class is just Reception this year).

I spend pretty much all day & evening planning (rarely use my PPA for planning, as usually end up using this for Subject Leader things), which does get me down I have to admit, but my main concern is not using daily observations effectively to feed into my planning/not always being able to follow the children's interests ...

I totally understand that the Head wants to check that planning is done, and the standard of planning, and that it's consistent across the school etc, but I don't feel I'm getting it quite right!?

I really, really want to get EYFS right and do what's right/best for the children, so any comments, guidance, opinions will be gratefully accepted!

Many thanks,

Hi,

I have to hand in Literacy and Numeracy planning fortnightly, (Yr/1 mixed class) other subjects I do half termly but do not need to hand these in. Maybe that will change in the near future.

I was just wondering MISSC - on your plans it said the theme was the Lighthouse keeper,

How many weeks do you spend on each topic? At the moment we have a over-riding theme for 3 months at a time, but i'm thinking of shortening it!!x

I was just wondering MISSC - on your plans it said the theme was the Lighthouse keeper,

How many weeks do you spend on each topic? At the moment we have a over-riding theme for 3 months at a time, but i'm thinking of shortening it!!x

it depends on the children and the theme/topic really- sometimes we might spend 2 weeks or 6 weeks- it depends on how the topic is going and how much the chn are interested in it and learning from it. The example i posted was the liughthouse keeper for a term (a kent term is 6 weeks) but we covered 3 different stories in that time- 1 lasted for 1 week, 1 lasted 2 weeks and 1 lasted 3 weeks. WE don't milk it too much and are VERY flexible, that is why we do minimal long and medium term planning becasue it doesn't matter if you don't cover it, and it is easy to write new plans which means you don't mind changing topics more regularly.

it depends on the children and the theme/topic really- sometimes we might spend 2 weeks or 6 weeks- it depends on how the topic is going and how much the chn are interested in it and learning from it. The example i posted was the liughthouse keeper for a term (a kent term is 6 weeks) but we covered 3 different stories in that time- 1 lasted for 1 week, 1 lasted 2 weeks and 1 lasted 3 weeks. WE don't milk it too much and are VERY flexible, that is why we do minimal long and medium term planning becasue it doesn't matter if you don't cover it, and it is easy to write new plans which means you don't mind changing topics more regularly.

That sounds great Missc, so if you do minimal med term planning, how do you show what learning objectives you are covering with every adult led?

I'm in a day nursery so i appriecate it is a bit different to schools....at the moment we do a long term plan for the year and decide what topics we want to introduce to the children, then every 3 months we have a planning meeting to decide what we will cover and then plan the learning objectives it will cover! We then have a planning session every friday to plan the adult-led and continuous provision ie whats in the sand for every day (weekly plans)!

Is this similiar to what you do?

Does it sound like we are doing to much or complicating things, would love to hear everyones views?

That sounds great Missc, so if you do minimal med term planning, how do you show what learning objectives you are covering with every adult led?

I'm in a day nursery so i appriecate it is a bit different to schools....at the moment we do a long term plan for the year and decide what topics we want to introduce to the children, then every 3 months we have a planning meeting to decide what we will cover and then plan the learning objectives it will cover! We then have a planning session every friday to plan the adult-led and continuous provision ie whats in the sand for every day (weekly plans)!

Is this similiar to what you do?

Does it sound like we are doing to much or complicating things, would love to hear everyones views?

our medium term plan is just a topic web- the same as the weekly one I posted before. This just shows the activities we plan to do for each area of learning. We don't look at intentions at this stage, purely what kind of activities/ideas we will do. Then each week (usually towards the end of the week) we look at the MT plan and decide which adult led activities we will do the following week- we highlight on the MT plan the activities we will do and then plan the weekly intentions- that's the weekly overview I posted. We also have an activity plan sheet that outlines the activity and the intentions etc for all staff to refer to. Sometimes we might only do some activities from the MT plan because the chn aren't really into the topic or something else has come up- someone has a new baby sister or someone brings something in that the children are really interested in- then we will create a new MT plan for that new topic and go with it. Sometimes we might go back to the other plan sometimes we won't- that's why we highlight the activities when we do them. hope that helps- happy to answer anymore Qs that you have!

our medium term plan is just a topic web- the same as the weekly one I posted before. This just shows the activities we plan to do for each area of learning. We don't look at intentions at this stage, purely what kind of activities/ideas we will do. Then each week (usually towards the end of the week) we look at the MT plan and decide which adult led activities we will do the following week- we highlight on the MT plan the activities we will do and then plan the weekly intentions- that's the weekly overview I posted. We also have an activity plan sheet that outlines the activity and the intentions etc for all staff to refer to. Sometimes we might only do some activities from the MT plan because the chn aren't really into the topic or something else has come up- someone has a new baby sister or someone brings something in that the children are really interested in- then we will create a new MT plan for that new topic and go with it. Sometimes we might go back to the other plan sometimes we won't- that's why we highlight the activities when we do them. hope that helps- happy to answer anymore Qs that you have!

That sounds like a good way of planning , its always nice to think of new ideas and ways of doing things...so how do you plan and document what to put out in your different areas such as sand, water, messy play etc, so the staff come in a know what to put out each day?

Thank you so much for answering my questions, its so helpful!! :o

That sounds like a good way of planning , its always nice to think of new ideas and ways of doing things...so how do you plan and document what to put out in your different areas such as sand, water, messy play etc, so the staff come in a know what to put out each day?

Thank you so much for answering my questions, its so helpful!! :o

no problem- glad to be of help! we have a enhanced provision plan for each day which sets out what will be added to the environment to support the objectives/intentions for the week in each area of learning as well as in specific areas of provision. I've attatched it here:

environment_plan.doc

I do my medium term planning this way too. Thanks for sharing your plans misc. Do you think this would be acceptable to do in year 1 and 2? Or do medium term plans need to be more detailed with learning objectives on them? x

Thats very similar to my weekly plans Missc, although we have our adult-led activites on the same plan, ill try and attach one tomorrow as they are on my computer at work! :o

I do my medium term planning this way too. Thanks for sharing your plans misc. Do you think this would be acceptable to do in year 1 and 2? Or do medium term plans need to be more detailed with learning objectives on them? x

Surely that is up to your school as to the level of detail that is required?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)