Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Resource Help!

First of all a big hello, I am so glad to have found this place! This will no doubt be the first of many q's.

I am moving to FS1 from year 2 this september. i am THRILLED! :o really excited about the change and looking forward to the challenge. I have had a good look online and on here but maybe some of you can help.

I would like to start getting some resorces organised for next year. Its a minefield and Im not sure where to start! Do any of you have an essentail list of things that i will need. Something that i could maybe share with my TA so that we can both begin to source/make things.

Know its a huge question, a lot depends on the children etc just need a 'bare bones' list of things that we can start to sort out now.

I appreciate any help, maybe there is a list made somewhere already - just point me in the right direction.

Thanks,

FS Newbie

apologies if posted in the wrong place, will take me a while to get my head round!

Hello and welcome to the Forum.

I think the first thing I would do is find out how the FS1 is working at present and what resources they already have. How do they plan? How do they organise their continuous provision? How is the session currently organised in terms of the daily routine? How do they induct new children? Is there an outdoor play area and do they free flow? There's lots to find out first before you can identify possible gaps in resource provision, so talk to the teacher who is already in there. A simple practical first resource is having the children's pegs labelled before they arrive, so that they know they are welcome and have somewhere to put their clothing. Also name cards for whatever system of self-registration you decide to use.

Have a wonderful time in FS1 you'll love it!

Hello and welcome to the Forum.

I think the first thing I would do is find out how the FS1 is working at present and what resources they already have. How do they plan? How do they organise their continuous provision? How is the session currently organised in terms of the daily routine? How do they induct new children? Is there an outdoor play area and do they free flow? There's lots to find out first before you can identify possible gaps in resource provision, so talk to the teacher who is already in there. A simple practical first resource is having the children's pegs labelled before they arrive, so that they know they are welcome and have somewhere to put their clothing. Also name cards for whatever system of self-registration you decide to use.

Have a wonderful time in FS1 you'll love it!

Thanks for your reply! Yes i think i am getting a bit ahead of myself, i have not had a chance to meet with the other teacher yet as we are snowed under with reports. As soon as they are out of the way i will sit down wih her and begin to get organised. First on the list to ask her are your questions!

Thanks again

Having recently made the big move down to Nursery myself, what I had in place for the first day of term were cloakroom labels with a picture and child's name on and a corresponding smaller card for self registration. I had some chance to liase with the teachers before I took over (mid year) but not a lot, so my first few weeks was spent endlessly searching on here xD and also just looking at what was happening in the setting and comparing it to what I felt/thought should be happening. Some systems they had in place I removed, others I have put in place myself - and some just got adapted. In fact a lot of the things I started to do have been adapted since as I learn more about what works and what doesn't. Be prepared to have an open mind and be flexible about how you approach things - 3 year olds see the world in a whole different way to us and I have learnt quickly that just because that was how I intended something to work...doesn't mean it ended up like that! :o But I love it and wouldn't swap teaching Nursery for the world :(

Good luck and keep on posting - everyone here is brilliant and helpful

Having recently made the big move down to Nursery myself, what I had in place for the first day of term were cloakroom labels with a picture and child's name on and a corresponding smaller card for self registration. I had some chance to liase with the teachers before I took over (mid year) but not a lot, so my first few weeks was spent endlessly searching on here xD and also just looking at what was happening in the setting and comparing it to what I felt/thought should be happening. Some systems they had in place I removed, others I have put in place myself - and some just got adapted. In fact a lot of the things I started to do have been adapted since as I learn more about what works and what doesn't. Be prepared to have an open mind and be flexible about how you approach things - 3 year olds see the world in a whole different way to us and I have learnt quickly that just because that was how I intended something to work...doesn't mean it ended up like that! :o But I love it and wouldn't swap teaching Nursery for the world :(

Good luck and keep on posting - everyone here is brilliant and helpful

Thanks Lucy, i cant wait. Agreed, this site is excellent, im sure i will find everything i need here and discover the rest myself as i get used to it. What year did you move from? I will add you as a friend if you dont mind! :(

of course I don't mind - and I've been everywhere in the last few years - from Reception to Year 3, plus the term before I took up this post I did PPA cover across the school and did every year group from Nursery to Year 6 - now THAT was a challenge :o I'd kick up a huge fuss if anyone tried to move me out of Nursery now though!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)