Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Any Parent Governors Out There?

Guest Beryl

Guest Beryl

I am thinking of applying /standing (whatever the correct term is!) to be a parent governor at my son's school as they are desperate for some - this is the third time the letter has gone out.

Just wondered if any of you have got any advice or can let me know what I would be letting myself in for! :o

Thanks

The full Board of Governors usually meet termly.

You will also be asked to be a member of at least 1 committee, which also meets termly. Depending on the committee and the school situation there may be other meetings.

The exact times are variable, usually decided by the headteacher and chair of Governors.

It can be very demanding but it can also be very rewarding.

Good luck.

Hi Beryl

I was a parent govenor at my childrens primary school many years ago. When my son left I became a coopted governor, as a local business woman and having a pre-school.

As Susan said it is hard work and a great responsibity but well worthwhile. The biggest decision I was part of was closing what was two schools, an infant and a junior, and bringing them together onto the one site.

If you feel you can give the time and commitment then I would say go for it. Good luck!

Linda

Hi

i am a parent governer too on my 2nd term now, so must like it. We have one full gov body meet each term and usually a shorter one as im in the cirriculum body too, im sure you will enjoy it, its good to be in the heart of whats happining in your children school. :D