Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Ideas For Numeracy (subtraction ) Reception Class

:o Hi everyone .

I am a teacher trainee and I was wondering are there any great books with ideas/resources to teach foundation stage kids math. I am doing my lesson on subtraction and I am going to use a song ten green bottles but with green froggs instead now (animals topic) . I am wondering if there any other fun interactive activities I can do?

And how do you teach the class with various abilities, my mentor asks TA to take out a group of AA or BA kids out and works with the rest. I want to try and keep all kids in a class but differentiate the activity by asking different type of qs .

I need your experience to help me, please. xD

Have you looked at the numbers and patterns document thats just comeout, it has a few nice ideas! x

we sand 5 little frogs sitting on a well, and the children had made a well out of big constrcution bricks so they had frog masks on and jumpe down the well when it was their turn x

Where to start with great books! First port of call for me would be scholastic and then this lot here probably- think the FSF should make a book of

" Loads of ideas and tricks they didn't teach you at college"... with the sequel " Loads more things they didn't teach you at college" and the third in the series "Loads of things you wish they'd taught you at college"..

Hi from one trainee teacher to another!

Kent ngfl do the froggy song- no music but they croak! We also did the 10 green bottles- next door class lent us masks. Do lots of modelling with fingers, using a number line, showing use of - and = inbetween the children who model the sum physically.

I asked TA to work with LA outside hopping along foam number mats etc or in class using hungry animals to gobble leaves/biscuits etc and try to record on colurful paper with colourful pens. HA use bigger numbers. MA use lower numbers with me to scaffold using own whiteboards and pens to show our number sentences.

zlw- great ideas, i have been buying off amazon but nothing really hits the mark, so frustrating and soon adds up,I feel am reinventing the wheel and someone wise has already been along this path before me! :o

I have had great success playing skittles outside. The children love it. Take out a whiteboard and they can write the number sentence too (or chalk it on the ground). You could also play hoop-la and knock tins off a wall with bean bags if you wanted to do subtraction from 10 rather than from 6.

mmm lovely ideas! Would they count as problem solving, that where i'm headed (including subtraction and addition!)

it would be problem solving if you asked them how they were going to find out who won? and they worked it out - & scoring in skittles is addition, not subtraction. A little girl in my class used her own form of tally during a magnetic fishing game the other day. Look at the profile guidance for examples. You can pose quite simple problems eg "can you make a box with 10 pieces of construction";"can you share the cows between the two fields on the farm set?"; "miss there are 4 children in role play and only 3 are allowed".

Thanks for the ideas. Have spent far too long creating some differentiated problems with minbeast themes! We shall see.... like your suggestions. Will keep them saved. thanks so much

:o

Don't worry, you'll get to use it again one way or another, and it will take less time next time round :)

We often send a group out during the intro with the TA, usally HA or LA but I would like to see all the children benefitting from working in a smaller group at times really. We've been advised at my school that Ofsted expect to see this as the 'scattergun' differentiated intro is a bit slow for the HA and some of it goes over the heads of the LA. I was told this on a course quite recently, too. It does make it easier having a small group, as well! You could work it the other way - ensure your TA is confident to deliver the intro, while you work with a smaller group somewhere. Also, if your TA is not working with a group during this time, what have you planned for him/her to do? You need to show that you are using him/her effectively.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)