Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Recording Adult Led Work

Hi there- am preparing for moderation for the profile and am wondering what others do about adult/child led evidence- we currently only record CI evidence in the childrne's profile files and don't really record small group work etc. NNs meet with their teacher to discuss outcomes from small group work but there is no formal recordng as such/ I am worried about this- any help/suggestions?

Guest heleng

Why don't you record the adult led evidence? We have obs in our learning journeys from adult focus activities, adult initiated activities and child initiated activities. We just put a key on the bottom of the label so we know if if was AF, AI or CI. Otherwise you miss things the children say and do at these times.

also, remember that the guidance is 80% of evidence for the profile comes from CI work and 20% from AI/AF work. I think some scale points are hard to assess unless you set something up to see it!

I do exactly the same as heleng. I have a copy of all the scale points at the back of their learning story. Every time I stick in an obs I then tick the scale points it is referenced to and write CI or AL (child initiated or adult led) so I am able to ensure that I only award the point witht the correct ratio of 80% child initiated. Not that you have evidence for every little thing.

The other think I do with adult led tasks is to write down things on the activities plans and next steps. I do this mainly to record the more negative points,if certain children didnt achieve objective so I can plan to meet it again. I find it useful to have somewhere to scribble these negative comments as the observations for the learning stories are only ever positive things if that makes sense.

Definitely think you should be recording adult led tasks somehow so it helps to inform planning. x

A while back our early years advisor informed our group that 'adult led' activities also covered;

group story time

register/weather

show n tell

snack

singing time

ring/circle games etc.

.... so if you added these into your daily session as 'Adult led' you would easily have 20% adult led??? Would anyone else agree with this??

The other think I do with adult led tasks is to write down things on the activities plans and next steps. I do this mainly to record the more negative points,if certain children didnt achieve objective so I can plan to meet it again.

KST .... surely if a child is unable to reach the goal of a planned activity, the child has not yet reached that particular level of development ... therefore you would be providing an activity which is not relevant to that child?? hope that makes sense!

dottyp :o

A while back our early years advisor informed our group that 'adult led' activities also covered;

group story time

register/weather

show n tell

snack

singing time

ring/circle games etc.

.... so if you added these into your daily session as 'Adult led' you would easily have 20% adult led??? Would anyone else agree with this??

You don't HAVE to have 20% from adult led though do you-the guidance says no more than 20% to come from adult led. If we have enough evidence from CI activities then surely that isn't a problem is it? It's interesting what your advisor said dootyp because the one i spoke to today said she classed evidence collected in the above parts of the day as CI because although you are providing opportunities what the child might say/do comes from them.

KST- Definitely think you should be recording adult led tasks somehow so it helps to inform planning- do we really need to write it down to inform our planning? if we see it then that informs the planning not the writing down of it.

Of course you don't need to write it down if it isn't helpful (I don't write every little thing down!) but with a class of 31 you cannot remember everything! I write next steps for children in their learning story so it is individual for those children. Also my TA will carry out some of my adult led so I like her to note significant things on the plans.

All planning is based on children's next steps so all activities are relevant to children. However, not all children will achieve an objective on the first time of doing something, for instance I have a small group of children who are still working towards recognising numbers to 5, I have planned numerous activities around this objective and children are working towards it but have not yet achieved it - hope that makes sense.

Also agree that you don't have to have 20% child initiated evidence. I more than easily have 20% adult led, it is more ensuring I have the 80% child initiated that is harder.

Yes KST - that makes perfect sense to me! So much time and effort is spend recording and observing to satisfy so many different causes, but as long as the children are happy and their progress is monitored then we're all doing a fab job! :o

dottyp

We record children's WOW momments in their learning journeys and other evidence goes in their 'special books' we just make it clear where we have got eveidence from. We also get evidence from the parents.

We've just gone through our moderation and you don't need to worry. As long as you know your children and can explain why you have given children goals and not given them other goals you will be fine.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)