Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Psrn Problem Solving Activities

Hi

Please can anyone help - I need to provide problem solving opportunities for my Reception children and am really struggling for ideas does anyone have any good ones?

Thanks

julescc272 xx

Hi, we did an animal rescue theme (preschool age) and I put a animal (soft toy obviously) out of reach in a tree, then they had to work out how to rescue it. It's tempting to think of PSRN as just about maths but it's also thinking skills too.

Our current topic is minibeasts so I asked my children to be minibeast detectives, they had to dig out all the plastic minibeasts from compost in sand tray, then I gave them clues to guess the missing one by given them different criteria - they had to work as a team to find out the answer - the main problem solving skills were sorting but some children didn't come up with this straight away!

Problem solving activities is something I worry I don't do enough adult led stuff but I think it comes into all areas of the curriculum within the continuous provision, just working out how to construct something or transport something - i agree it about developing thinking skills as much as it is about PSRN. Having said that interested to read other ideas for problemsolving within PSRN. x

We are working on "Jack and the beanstalk" and the problems were:

In how many ways can you divide 5 beans between Jack's and the Giant's fields? - recording findings

Think of quick ways for the Giant to count his money? - 2s, 5s, etc.

Find ways for Jack to get to the top of the beanstalk(using conting sticks on paper or beebots) - directions, shortest/longest route.

Estimate the amount of beans in the jar - change the amount every day, check in the end of the day.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)