Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Half Hour Traditional Tales Lesson

I have to teach a year 2 class a half hour lesson based around a traditional tale for an upcoming interview. Does anyone have any fabulous ideas they can share? It would be much appreciated!

Well, I would start by thinking what my favourite tale was. If you know it well and love it, that will come across.

You would need to tell the story - it would be best if you could tell with props rather than read, becuase that reflect the oral tradition of the stories.

Then what happens next might depend on the story, and on the class. Are you allowed any info about the class to help you prepare?

Hotdesking/ interviewing could work if the children are used to it, as could retelling the stories in pairs or small groups with props.

Unfortunately we haven't been given much information about the class and when I arrive I have only 5 minutes to set everything up so it can't be anything hugely complex. I was considering telling the story of Jack and the Beanstalk but I'm not too sure!

As you said things like hotdeaking will probably only work if the chidlren are used to it and unfortunately I have no idea if they are or not!

Unfortunately we haven't been given much information about the class and when I arrive I have only 5 minutes to set everything up so it can't be anything hugely complex. I was considering telling the story of Jack and the Beanstalk but I'm not too sure!

As you said things like hotdesking will probably only work if the chidlren are used to it and unfortunately I have no idea if they are or not!

Ok, Jack and the Beanstalk is good, though. Nice and bloodthirsty.

You could tell the story with props and then get the children to retell. You could get them to plant magic beans to take home? Or write a poster advertising magic beans?

Jack is an interesting character - there are lots of other Jack stories. he appears in English folklore like an Anansi figure. Perhaps you could talk about the rights and wrongs of his behaviour. Or what would they sell if they had to?

I would go for 3 little pigs, followed up by something like giving them different materials to try constructing a house to see which is strongest. I've also had fun hot seating the wolf and setting up a chat show where wolfie claims he is misrepresented (probably a bit tricky for an interview lesson but fun all the same!)

Guest LornaW

As it is Y2 I would perhaps go for something a little challenging to show progression from what they already know for example Revolting Rhymes by Roald Dahl. You could then discuss the differences in the story and get the children to use the rhythm and rhyme.

Lorna

Thank you :o

I told the story of Jack and the Beanstalk without a book and they seemed to really love it! I stopped at the part where the giant chases Jack down the beanstalk and the children all acted out the role of the villagers working hard and then looking shocked and frightened as Jack ran in. I did mock interviews to find out how they were feeling. Luckily the class were really well behaved and responded well, could have gone totally the other way, especially as I spent the night before being sick from a horrible stomach bug I'd caught!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)