Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

How To Include Everyone?

We are a partnership foundation stage unit currently operating out of 2 seperate buildings. Because we are a sessional preschool we have children that may just attend 2 mornings, or only afternoons for example. I am struggling with how to include all in things particularly when we have organised them with the school who have timetabling restrictions. For example we have use of the school ICT suite, but only our Tuesday children can do this as this is our slot. And we are doing a joint sports day, but it will be on a wednesday morning which means only our wednesday morning children are planned to take part. I'd love to open it to all, but can't afford the staffing, we would only be staffed for our usual 24 children. We have planned to practice with the children who are in at the same time as the F2 children have PE each week, and our afternoon children can still do races/sports day type activities in the afternoon sessions, but they won't actually get the chance to take part in the actual sports day unless any of you can tell me how you would or do manage such a situation??

I have thought about asking parents of children from other sessions on a reply slip if they would like their child to take part then please indicate on the slip to give us an idea of numbers, but that they will be responsible for their child on the day?! Not really happy with that idea....as think it could be chaos

Or planning a 2nd sports day event just for the afternoon children so parents can attend in our own preschool garden - but they miss out on the interaction with the F2 children then....

I know this is going to come up more and more once we are in the same building, as we will be more restricted by school timetabling for events such as these - how can I make sure we are being inclusive?

Clare x

From what you have said I think this might just be one of those things where you have to accept that some children are going to take part and some aren't. I doubt the school would be happy with you having extra children looked after by their parents on their premises and like you said it would be chaos!

The best solution would be the afternoon sports day for those children who attend in the afternoons with parents invited along to that. It's not a huge issue if they miss out on the interaction with F2 children and I'm sure there will be other opportunities for this.

The best thing you can do I think is work with the school to try to ensure that 'special' events like this are held on a variety of days so that different children can take part. So for example if sports day is held on a wednesday morning, perhaps next time a special vistor comes in it could be arranged for a thursday afternoon, thus different children would get access to that event. It isn't ideal because they aren't all getting the same thing but it's never going to be perfect, you just have to do your best.

We are a partnership foundation stage unit currently operating out of 2 seperate buildings. Because we are a sessional preschool we have children that may just attend 2 mornings, or only afternoons for example. I am struggling with how to include all in things particularly when we have organised them with the school who have timetabling restrictions. For example we have use of the school ICT suite, but only our Tuesday children can do this as this is our slot. And we are doing a joint sports day, but it will be on a wednesday morning which means only our wednesday morning children are planned to take part. I'd love to open it to all, but can't afford the staffing, we would only be staffed for our usual 24 children. We have planned to practice with the children who are in at the same time as the F2 children have PE each week, and our afternoon children can still do races/sports day type activities in the afternoon sessions, but they won't actually get the chance to take part in the actual sports day unless any of you can tell me how you would or do manage such a situation??

I have thought about asking parents of children from other sessions on a reply slip if they would like their child to take part then please indicate on the slip to give us an idea of numbers, but that they will be responsible for their child on the day?! Not really happy with that idea....as think it could be chaos

Or planning a 2nd sports day event just for the afternoon children so parents can attend in our own preschool garden - but they miss out on the interaction with the F2 children then....

I know this is going to come up more and more once we are in the same building, as we will be more restricted by school timetabling for events such as these - how can I make sure we are being inclusive?

Clare x

Personally I would invite parents to take part and be responsible for their children, this way you are being inclusive of everyone, if the school wont allow it then I would personally choose not to take part with only the wednesday children, could you instead organise something that all children could participate in such as a teddy bears picnic. As for the ICT I dont know what to suggest, other than asking the school if you could have a different day each week, if this isnt an option then there isnt alot you can do.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)