Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Help! Small Outdoor Area...

Hello all you knowledgeable Foundation/KS1 people! (from a worried 1st timer)

I teach a mixed R/Y1 class, and have a lovely shelter built onto outside of classroom for outdoor provision. However it is very small (2/3m sq) and have been given conflicting advice as to what to do, one suggestion was to open the side gate and put cones out, although this is surely a health and safety/safeguarding issue?? We have a lovely nature area which I take the children to as much as I can, but am worried as Ofsted looming and I want to be seen to be doing the right thing!

Has anyone any advice, also how would be the best way to manage resources out there? I currently try to provide as many different learning opportunites as I can, but its often too crowded with stuff. Am thinking of starting a rota for putting things out - changed on a daily basis?!

Thanks

Sarah x x :o

i dont have many ideas but i just wanted to let you the people i hve spoken to lately have said that ofsted wanted to see you were doing the best with what you have x x x

I'm not really an expert on outdoor areas, but I think what I would be doing would be going for one or two quality learning opportunities out there rather than stuffing it so full that it's overcrowded. Also if you have some boisterous children then space for them to just run around a bit without tripping over things is probably a good idea. I'd perhaps change them weekly so that every child had an opportunity to access them, unless the children really weren't interested or particularly liked something - basically go with the children's interests, there's no harm in having something out a long time if they are really into it.

When you mentioned the coned area where would this be? I'm presuming you mean on the school playground? If so is there an adult outside all the time when children are out? If there is I don't see why this would be a problem once you have taught the children to stay within the coned area.

I previoulsy supported a childminder who lived in a flat with a communal garden. Her inspector was happoy for her to use this as long as the Risk Assessment and supervision were in place.

Some settings have no outdoors, so anything you have is better than that....

• 4 weeks later...

I don't think coning off an area and having cones out would work - ofsted would go on about health and safety. In my last class we had a tiny outdorr area also which was covered by walla and was pretty grim! I used to let teh children use paint on the walls (simply washed away when it rained so didn't mark the building!) and I made up loads of different boxes with stuff in that could be used outside (e.g. mark making box, different role-play boxes) the children could then choose what they wanted to use. I then just took out stuff from the classrooom to link with the topic when needed. Wasn't ideal but better than nothing!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)