Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Pirates In Early Years Unit!

Hi all,

I am following childrens interests on mass with pirates next half term!!!!! I was wondering if anyone would be kind enough to share any ideas or planning they have on this. it would save a lot of time.

Thanks to you all

:o

Hi if you put on Pirates into search forum posts at top of page you will find links. Let me know if you cant find them and I will be able to send them via another computer on sun.

Hi if you put on Pirates into search forum posts at top of page you will find links. Let me know if you cant find them and I will be able to send them via another computer on sun.

Thanks Hoglet

:o

Why are pirates called pirates?

Because they ARRRRR!!!!

Well, small world pirates, treasures chests, treasure maps, lots and lots of stories (there is a lovely one called Bad Boris), turning the setting into a pirate ship/ treasure island, parrots, making ships, etc.

What else do your children like? For example, if they like junk modelling, then they coudl make their own boats, possibly a huge boat together

we bought a large bag of gold coins (fromparty shop)and have used them for treasure hunts in the sand/maths etc etc etcbeen a really good resource and still going strong. We also made cannons and cannon balls which were then winched up the walls of the role play area with ropes! the children came up with a large list of things they wanted to do - maps/pirate hats/telescopes/...... the only thing we felt we needed to add was some information on female pirates to get the girls more involved.

Pirates seem to have landed at our setting too. We have found their flag raised over the climbing frame and some of our resources have disappeared with little notes left by the pirates replacing them! On a personal note I'm very proud of my new found skill in making pirate hats! Thanks for all the other ideas!

• 4 weeks later...

Just might be of interest. The pirate theme has been incorporated into the Barnardos Toddle for this year. We have continued the theme since organising the toddle for the pre-school group.

Activities have included digging for hidden treasure placed in various metal tins within the sand pit. Making hats and eye patches. Drawing treasure maps of the garden with an 'x' marking the spot plus flags. This in turn has led us to looking at bones and skeletons (from pirate flag) Funny bones books are a hit at the moment.

PS Barnardos provide a booklet of useful ideas and resources, so well worth Toddling for a good cause.

Angela

We too started the Pirates theme last monday - because we are going on our toddle on next Tuesday - but got the Ofsted call on first day back last week unsure whether to carry on with plans or revert to dinsaurs but went with it - and they LOVED it - children were so engaged - had a fantstic reponse to treasure hunt outdoors - with children running round with clipboards creating a list (boys writing - TICK) of all the treasure they could find - walking the plank with crates and planks, building a make ship boat out of boxes - language was amazing - am sooooooooooo proud of my kids and team. Recovering now and trying to think of a way to get back the toys that the pirates stole!!!!!! Didn't fully think it through in my ofsted haze!!!

H

well done!! we have just had a project going where someone stole some toys - we had to write a letter to get them back! the letters went back and forth over the week (with clues in to find out who it was who stole them)- they eventually arrived back in a treasure chest full of gifts for the children (to say sorry!) everyone went away with a small plastic wand! the children were thrilled!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)