Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Children Centre Playworker

I am so excited that I have completed the process of applications, formal interview and informal interviews and been successful in getting a new full time job as a playworker.....

However, I am nervous and want to hear from anyone who is a playworker in a children centre about their role and what it means to them....

I want to gain lots of information before I start my role beginning of June, although I have had many compliments from multi agency that I will love the job and it is a fantastic opportunity....

Anyone care to share

Moonshine

:o

Hi,

I am afraid I can't give you any advice re your new job but just wanted to say Congratulations and well done on getting the job.

I am sure other people will be along to give advice soon.

Congratulations and let us know how you get on when you start in June

Nicky Sussex :oxD

I think it is one of those roles that will expand the fit the capabilities of the person holding it.

i have run some Stay and PLay sessions at Childrens Centres, and they are exciting places to work.

hi Moonshine,

What does it say in your job description??

I am a children centre worker(there are 3 of us)we also have a ed lead and of course a centre manager.We run sessions such as story time, messy play, sensory sessions--- We also do outreach work and support families in the community. Hope you enjoy it what ever your role-I think you will, good luck, Unsworth

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunatley, different titles mean different things in different centres. It might be good to look at your JD, for me I would think as others have said here that it would involve a variety of things from looking at outreach and play development with some families, to perhaps ensuring that the activities within the sessions run at the centre are meaningful and worthwhile and recording and observing what children and parents get from them and also educating parents on the importance of play. It might mean that you would be looking to run some groupwork with specific families to get them to spend time with their children and learn all about play in an informal environment and yes it will as someone else says here evolve over time and you can make it your own. You might find that there are gaps in service which you might want to lead on e.g. services for the under 1's or issues around children transitioning to nursery/school. I would think that your role would be instrumental in "Narowing the Gap for the lowest achieving 20% of children" - this is a target for all CC's within Enjoy and Achieve and the CYPP - so somewhere the centre will need to report on this and you will need to put input and work with families to promote this.

When I think of playwork I always think of work with older children so I am assuming that this is work within the centre.

Nikki

• 4 weeks later...

:o Thank you for all your responses

I have done 2 days and its surprising what I have picked up and learned... I can also see how they are different as it does depend on the area and the parents needs....

Thank you all again

Moonshine

• 2 weeks later...

:o Just thought I'd post that I am loving my job as playworker and so excited as I am booked to go on training of fitting not flitting course at Pen Green later this year... Fantastic opportunities and the experience to visit this setting as well really looking forward to it.

Moonshine xD:(

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)