Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Dissertation

ok, so I'm not the most organised person and am writing up the rest of my methodology, which has taken a complete back seat to assignment deadlines, anyway the end is in sight and I am getting so confused what to put and not put in my methodology...has to be approx 1250 words as diss is only 5000 words...uni has recommended sectioning 'ethics, methodology and methods' under one, is this what others are following too?

I think I am bit overloaded- I have so much info on what to put in methodology I can't see the wood for the trees

hope you can help clarify!

Guest lucyevans

I've almost finished the BA (Hons) ECS too :-)

This is what we were told to put in the Methodology Chapter:

Broader methodological approaches discussed (e.g. positivist v interpretivist)

Own research approach and research tool choices described and justfified

Ethical issues outlined and discussed

Construction of sample emplained and justified

Triangulation - how will this be achieved?

Hope that helps

Lucy

ok, so I'm not the most organised person and am writing up the rest of my methodology, which has taken a complete back seat to assignment deadlines, anyway the end is in sight and I am getting so confused what to put and not put in my methodology...has to be approx 1250 words as diss is only 5000 words...uni has recommended sectioning 'ethics, methodology and methods' under one, is this what others are following too?

I think I am bit overloaded- I have so much info on what to put in methodology I can't see the wood for the trees

hope you can help clarify!

thank you lucyevans you star!

Is it good to discuss the different approaches then even if I won't be using them- just to demonstrate my awareness? Any tips on what not to include/waffle on about?

DONT FORGET TO DISCUSS BOTH THE POSITIVE AND NEGATIVE VIEW OF THE DATA COLLECTION METHOD YOU HAVE CHOSEN

GOOD LUCK

BUMBLBEE

I wouldn't get too 'hung' up on placing too much emphasis on the different approaches, aslong as you outline your research approach and you clearly show justification for the research tools you have decided to use - Good Luck with it all - i can assure you that once you have finished it, it will be a huge relief!! :o

Hi there

I just wanted to say good luck to anyone that is finishing their dissertation. I'm just 3000 words of my 10 000 limit :o I've had so much support from forum members, I hope that I can return the favor one day.

Is there anyone else out there that eats themselves out of house & home when they are writing or is it just me he he?

Good Luck everyone.

Edited by nickylear

Guest lucyevans
thank you lucyevans you star!

Is it good to discuss the different approaches then even if I won't be using them- just to demonstrate my awareness? Any tips on what not to include/waffle on about?

:o I just wrote a paragraph on the interpretivist v positivist approach

Hello

I am also completing my dissertation due in on the 19 may. I then have an exam on the 24th and hand in another two pieces of work on the 9th and 16 june. If I survive I hope you are right happydays1 that it is a huge relief. But how will I fill the hours of worry and writing then!!!!!!

happy4

Hello,

Dissertations are fun to do if you enjoy the subject. The most important part of the whole literature review is to be critical... do not take anything on face value try to see what the downside to there argument is, look tom see is there is bias and try to see why the piece was written. Normally people write because they have a point of view they want to tell other people. Also you need to try and get a balance so it is not one sided

Importantly is also the fact that there is a logical coherence that the reader can follow the argument

Hope this helps a little, I have just finished doing a 50,000 word MSc in September so i know what it is like!!!

Take care

Nick.

thank you for the replies :) oh my goodness Nick 50,000!! congratulations lol! 5,000 is nothing then! I am enjoying my subject but is very broad-no help from research tutor, she was bit useless to say the least and is too late to narrow it down...and now she won't even be marking mine now anyway! Will go over literature review as it isn't very critical to be honest, thanks for the tip.

nickylear I eat all the wrong things when I am doing uni work, its dreadful!

I can't wait to get it done as only have two assignments and I'm officially done wahoo :o feeling extra chirpy today as got my GWR feedback and have been recommended for assessment xD

Edit: Happy4: I'm sure wine and chocolates will help :(

Edited by ExtraordinaryChicken

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)