Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Fsu For September

Well it has been confirmed we WILL be having a FSU in september. There will be 12 YN chn (who will all come in the am) and 12 YR pupils (full time) with 1 CT and 2 NN. I am looking for advice from anyone who has been there done it previously. I am really looking forward to it and think it will give our EYFS department the good shake up that it needs, but have some concerns and reservations. I have no idea how to timetable and organise the day, am worried about how to best present it to parents, and have to choose between using the current YN room or the current YR room- which I am really indecisive about!

Any tips or ideas gratefully recieved!

In terms of choosing the room think about things like access to outdoors, children's toilets, kitchen and storage (probably in that order). If both are equal go for the room with the most natural light, unless it's a lot smaller, in which case go for the biggest!

As for the timetable I'd go for phonics everyday, probably in differentiated groups, then have either a CLL or a PSRN everyday but not both as this would probably be too much adult led time for the nursery otherwise. You'd have to try and fit all the areas into the adult led group work for nursery though since you wouldn't be covering these on the carpet and you couldn't rely completely on the CI play to cover all areas, particularly PSHE (although this depends on what the children are like). Not much help that I'm afraid, I've probably just brought up even more questions for you to think about!

Thanks Kariana, that is a help despite what you might think! Both rooms are more or less exactly the same, although the YN room has a kitchen which i would love, but my room (current YR) is brighter so will have to have a think and chat with others. Thankyou for the adivce about the timetable, this has been my biggest worry so far! Will be interested in what others have to say about it all later- particularly regarding parents and their feeling about the 'merger'.

Thanks Kariana, that is a help despite what you might think! Both rooms are more or less exactly the same, although the YN room has a kitchen which i would love, but my room (current YR) is brighter so will have to have a think and chat with others. Thankyou for the adivce about the timetable, this has been my biggest worry so far! Will be interested in what others have to say about it all later- particularly regarding parents and their feeling about the 'merger'.

Will you have a place to separate the two groups for short times?

Our parents were very supportive when we decided to merge I think it helped that we kept them informed every step.

Will you have a place to separate the two groups for short times?

Our parents were very supportive when we decided to merge I think it helped that we kept them informed every step.

Thanks for that marion, I'm hoping our parents will also be supportive! We are planning to inform them soon then we will be able to answer queries etc over the next term. As for the rooms, we will only have 1 (all be it a very large) room so not sure about the seperate sessions, but the YN chn arrive at 8:30 and YR at 9.00 and then the YN chn will go at 11:30 and the YR will have the pm session on their own so not sure how that will work?

Any tips on a timetable/routine of the day from anyone?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)