Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Summer Term Planning

Hi everyone

I was just wondering how in Reception you are orgainising your weekly CLL and Phonics planning, how many adult led writing and reading activities are the children doing? What are your different ability groups achieving at the moment?

Thanks in advance

We have just started mixing reception, year 1 and 2 up for phonics into the phases so we can plan for the differentiation more effectively. I currently have about half my class doing phase 3, 10 children doing phase 4 and 6 (bright children) doing phase 5 in my reception class. Not sure what people think of doing this?

We have phonics everyday and they love it! I do one guided writing a week, the differentiation is huge, my top group are writing up to 3 sentences, with some using simple punctuation, most children are writing 1 sentence using their phonic knowledge, my low ability children are still mark making but putting initial sounds for words. I also do 1 guided reading a week. Children have lots of opportunity to read and write in their CI time which lots of children use (although boys need that extra push to!)

Hi

We have 60 children in our Reception class. We deliver Letters and Sounds every morning and have split the children into four groups in accordance with their ability and what phase they're on. In regards to guided reading and writing, we also differentiate - again we have 11 guided reading groups which we do on a two week cycle and the same goes for guided writing.Hope this helps!!

Thank you for your reply KST and Happydays1, they have helped. How much time do you allocate to your CLL sessions and does it change now the children will be nearly Year 1's?Although I've read this isn't the case but i'm just wondering what people do as I've been a Year 5 teacher for the past 7 years and all new to Reception.

Does anyone follow RWI phonics program - how do you organise that and CLL lessons for the Summer.

If anyone would kindly share a CLL and a Phonics plan it would be much appreciated, i have searched the internet but struggling to find examples of CLL planning. Just want to check I'm on the right lines.

Thanks

We have just started mixing reception, year 1 and 2 up for phonics into the phases so we can plan for the differentiation more effectively. I currently have about half my class doing phase 3, 10 children doing phase 4 and 6 (bright children) doing phase 5 in my reception class. Not sure what people think of doing this?

We have phonics everyday and they love it! I do one guided writing a week, the differentiation is huge, my top group are writing up to 3 sentences, with some using simple punctuation, most children are writing 1 sentence using their phonic knowledge, my low ability children are still mark making but putting initial sounds for words. I also do 1 guided reading a week. Children have lots of opportunity to read and write in their CI time which lots of children use (although boys need that extra push to!)

This is exactly what we do in my school. I'm the year one teacher but we have been mixing phonics groups since September and I've never seen such massive gains in writing progress. Some children went from being assessed as a 4 on the profile at the start of September to being a comfortable 1B by February. I love it and so do the children. The ones who go down to reception aren't at all bothered by the idea and for a lot of them it has really been the making of them as they are in a group with perhaps 4 or 5 others working at the same level. I could never have delivered such specific provision if all the children had been kept together in year one for phonics.

In terms of the delivery of my sessions they will not change in the summer term, only that they are getting more advanced as children's levels do, I am starting to get children to work a bit more independently and will get my high ability children to work for a bit longer in their group if they are able to cope with that. As you have probably read else where, it is not about getting reception children ready for year 1 but year 1 teachers need to get ready for reception children! I deliver a carpet session on Monday morning (usually shared reading or writing) which sets up the learning which will be delivered in adult led groups - I then have 1 group work with an adult at a time which runs all morning (each group works for about 20 minutes in their group). By the end of the morning or often the day (as I have 5 ability groups its hard to get through all 5 groups in a morning) all children will have a done their activity. For my planning I have a timetable style weekly plan which has the carpet sessions on and then have individual activity plans for the group tasks which have all the differentiation on. Hope that makes sense!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)