Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Ratios In A Fsu

Hi, I have posted this in the FSU forum but seems to be more happening here so thought I would try here too, wonder if anyone can help......

We are planning to start a FSU in September and wondered if anyone can offer some advice re ratios. We will have 12 YR chn and 12 YN chn at the start of the yr, and taking in more YN chn as the year goes on, and we usually gain 1 or 2 Yr chn too as the chn move around school locally. We are planning on have 1 CT and 2 qualified NNs but are confused as to how many chn we can have in a session in total. Some guidance appears to say 1:13 (so up to 39 chn in total with that levle of staffing) and other guidance seems to say you can have no more than 30 if there is only 1 CT.

Can anyone shed some light and help me move forward with this please?!?!

Hi, I have posted this in the FSU forum but seems to be more happening here so thought I would try here too, wonder if anyone can help......

We are planning to start a FSU in September and wondered if anyone can offer some advice re ratios. We will have 12 YR chn and 12 YN chn at the start of the yr, and taking in more YN chn as the year goes on, and we usually gain 1 or 2 Yr chn too as the chn move around school locally. We are planning on have 1 CT and 2 qualified NNs but are confused as to how many chn we can have in a session in total. Some guidance appears to say 1:13 (so up to 39 chn in total with that levle of staffing) and other guidance seems to say you can have no more than 30 if there is only 1 CT.

Hi, we have a 30 place reception class with a class teacher and ta, and 26 place nursery with 2 nn, (26 am and pm)altogether in our foundation unit.

hth

Gill

Hi, we have a 30 place reception class with a class teacher and ta, and 26 place nursery with 2 nn, (26 am and pm)altogether in our foundation unit.

hth

Gill

I know some schools do this be legally they are breaking the law as there should be a teacher for the nursery children

Under infant class size legislation (which applies because the majority of the children will reach statutory school age by the end of the school year there must be 1 QT for every 30 pupils)

also under EYFS it states

Children aged three and over in maintained schools and nursery schools (except for children in reception classes)

■■ The early years provision in each class or group of pupils must be led by a ‘school teacher’1. A teacher must be present with the children except during non-contact time, breaks and short term absence.

Once you exceed 30 children in a session you need another teacher

Once you exceed 30 children in a session you need another teacher

thanks for that marion! that is what I thought, so we can have 30 chn but need 3 adults to maintain 1:13 ratio (although it will work out at 1:10) is that right?

Has anyone been part of a 'merger' like this? and which do you find you prefer together or seperate? what problems/issues have you encountered? Ours is being done basically because of money and we can lose a teacher so it WILL happen but would like to be forwarned about potential issuesto prepare and ask for additional help/support etc if approaprite.

thank you so much

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)