Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Ke 312

Hi, has anyone sat the KE 312 exam, if so could you please let me know what it involved. I am trying to decide on which course to do next but the idea of an exam terrifies me !

Hi

Yes I sat the KE312 exam in 2008. I HATE exams and this was the first I had taken in over 30 years!

The exam paper has 3 sections and each section has 3 questions ( I think! it might have been 4 questions) you have to answer a total of 3 and HAVE to choose one from each section.

They are all essay answers so a bit like writing a TMA really. You need to provide a plan for each one and to ensure each has introduction, middle and conclusion.

You have three hours to complete it and believe me practising before hand and time planning is essential (advice I was given by other OU students)

I was at a slight disadvantage as I did the first presentation of the course and therefore there were no previous exam papers available we just had one 'sample' to look at!

Revision of course is vital and how you do that is personal choice, some people swore by mind maps and others (like me) didn't. I came up with an 'alphabet' that I learnt by rote of key theorists and topics and had done background reading. My theory was that when I turned the paper over my mind would go blank but hopefully I would be able to remember the alphabelt so I practiced writing out my alphabet before hand. On the day I did not turn the paper over at the start but spent 5 minutes scrawling my alphabet down ( you get rough paper but it is handed in). It paid dividends because when I read the questions I just sat there thinking 'WHAT??!!!' but looking at my scrawled list enabled me to think a little more clearly!.

I allowed 50 mins writing per question which allowed time to re read them at the end. The time absolutely whizzes by. The other thing I am so glad I did was to practice writing against the clock whilst ensuring the markers are going to be able to actually read it!!

In spite of giving it my best shot I ran out of time and didn't quite complete the third essay (got half way through the conclusion) My results were excellent for the first answer, good for the second and not great (but a pass!) for the third and sadly the way it all works is that my overall exam mark was brought down by the third essay and I got a pass grade 3. I was cross as I just missed a pass 2 and overall it impacted on my degree and I got a 2.1 in the end.

The ONLY reason I sat this exam was because I wanted the HOns degree in early years and there was no other route to it without KE312 and to be fair I don't really think Hons degrees should be awarded without some sort of exam somewhere.

I got through it so I have no doubt that you will too. If I could have my time again I would have actually written revision essays and perhaps would have been able to use them/adapt them in the exam.

The trick is deciding what to revise. I think it as guaranteed as it can be that the topics chosen for the exam will include something from each of the three books so definitley topics from each book should be revised but which ones you choose and how many is pot luck really. I chose one topic from each book that I knew inside out and others that I knew well enough to write a decent essay and some I just had limited recollection of

Good luck you will be fine

Edited by Geraldine

Although I haven't done this course, the exam set-up for U212 was just as Geraldine has described.

I think her revision advice is sound, as you can't do EVERYTHING, much as you might like to!

Some advice I would give, is to READ THE QUESTIONS PROPERLY!!!!! I thought I had, but when I finally looked at the paper again (you can't take it away, but it is available on line for a while) I realised I'd misread one of the questions!! :o Fortunately it didn't impact too badly, but I missed out on a distinction because of that, and got a pass 2.

Sue

Thank you very much for your advice, so how long is each essay ? It takes me days to write a TMA and that is with the help of books and internet etc. Are they expected to be of the same standard? I like the alphabet idea and think that may work for me.

Thank you very much for your advice, so how long is each essay ? It takes me days to write a TMA and that is with the help of books and internet etc. Are they expected to be of the same standard? I like the alphabet idea and think that may work for me.

Well you have three to write in 3 hours but it isn't really an hour of writing for each as you have to allow time to read the questions (as Sue rightly pointed out, read them carefully!!) time to plan each essay and time to re read what you have written.

My plans were very brief/rough and I think I actually planned all 3 before I started writing but can't quite remember!

Prior to the exam I used to take a year and a day to write a TMA and like you say that was with the help of books, course material, internet etc etc so I thought my chances of writing 3 essays in the time allowed were nil! Hence the necessity to practice writing against the clock. There is no word count for the exam essays and though they are similiar to TMAs the markers do not expect them to be quite as 'polished' as a TMA.

I wish I still had my alphabet but alas I didn't keep it so sorry I can't share it! I had it written in a small flip style revision notebook thing I got from smiths. I carried it everywhere and my other half was very good at testing me. He checked I was correct when I 'recited' it and also picked letters at random to test me!

Have you seen an exam paper? The questions I chose were:

1.What are the arguments in favour of viewing children’s participation as a process rather than a one off event or consultation? Critically evaluate the extent to which children’s participation is embedded into the process of designing and/or delivering children’s services

2.Identity formation in children is a complex psychological process which is influenced by social factors. Critically evaluate this statement and consider its significance for adults working with children.

3.Critically analyse the factors that may impede or enhance the success of policies promoting multi agency working in children’s services.

Edited by Geraldine

Thank you for answering my questions in such detail, I just don't want to waste my time and money on a course I am not able to complete. As a level 3 course is it a much higher standard? Also did you find the course interesting ? I have enjoyed E123, E124 , E230 and E243 but hated E215 AND E115 I work as a TA in a foundation unit and also run the after school club.

As a level 3 course is it a much higher standard? Also did you find the course interesting ?

I don't know that it is a 'much' higher standard but certainly more than level 2 study.

I loved the course, really interesting the only drawback for me was that I spent too much time worrying about the exam and with hindsight wish I hadn't!!

• 2 weeks later...

I just thought those of you working away towards your BA might like to see this picture! It is the stage of the concert hall in the barbican theatre taken just before my graduation ceremony started on saturday. It was a brilliant day and thought it might spur you all on knowing it's your turn next :oxD

post-1999-1273000624_thumb.jpg

You kept this quiet Geraldine!!!

Well done. You must have been so proud to collect your well-deserved award on such an impressive and imposing stage. I'm hoping to be on such a stage in the very near future!!

I hope the photo will spur other folk along as it did me.

Congratulations again and I hope you celebrated your day in style!! :o

You kept this quiet Geraldine!!!

Well done. You must have been so proud to collect your well-deserved award on such an impressive and imposing stage. I'm hoping to be on such a stage in the very near future!!

I hope the photo will spur other folk along as it did me.

Congratulations again and I hope you celebrated your day in style!! xD

Well I didn't like to shout quite shy really!!! :(

It was the most amazing day. Vice Chancellor of the OU presented the awards and in his opening speech said he wanted to hear nothing less than 'thunderous applause' when we crossed the stage. Families cheered and shouted for their loved ones and it was great. I was a little nervous as to what my lot would do, I guessed they would shout and that they might be quite loud but wasn't quite prepared for what happened. An almighty cheer went up as I crossed the stage - I had no idea where my lot were in the sea of about 2000 faces. The Vice chancellor offered 'many many congratulations' and then asked if the 'wonderful young men' were part of my family, I turned to see my four sons (all in suits there's a rare thing!) standing way up in the circle and I was just blown away. Afterwards we toodled off to a lovely restaurant and had a great meal. The community spirit was great and total strangers all sharing a really special day chatted away like old friends.

There was a sad and somewhat poignant moment when a lady collected an award 'for the late ....' and she got a huge round of applause - what a day of mixed emotions for her.

So ... plod on with the study .. it WILL BE YOU and only when you actually experience it will you find that all those long nights, stress of assignment deadlines, worrying about results etc etc is worth every single moment.

I can't quite describe the day in words and nor can I really explain how it feels :o Of course when you graduate you get to choose a venue. For my foundation degree I went to Ely Cathedral (tickets limited to 3 guests) but for my BA (Hons) I chose the barbican because it is bigger and therefore ticket allocation greater!

Ely cathedral was superb but all the guests were on one level and for some it meant a poor view of the 'stage' whereas with the barbican it was a concert hall with tiered seating so everyone could see clearly :(

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)