Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Maths Ideas

hi everyone,

does anyone have any ideas for what activities i can put out for the nursery children to target the mathematical language of big and small? i need to have about 6 different activities for a mathematical afternoon. any ideas would be most welcome, thank you :)

The 3 bears is always a good one. You can have a 3 bears' hous :o e in your home corner (quite a lot of work for one afternoon though). How about stacking beakers in your sand or water? You could put laminated snakes of different length out with the dough. Bead threading could lead to comparisons of length. Construction such as duplo could lead to height comparisons. Without adult input you are hard pushed to ensure that the children are learning or using the vocabulary in any of these activities, so you need to use adult time wisely. xD

Hi kitkat

Have you seen this site? A member on here mentioned it some time ago and I have found it really useful. It has got activities for large and small groups. The activities you are looking for start at about page 50.

Linda

Hi !!

I was about to post the same advice as Linda, except that I have a hard copy obtainable through DFES. Really good activities across the whole Maths area for large, small and, with a bit of adaptation 1:1 and paired working.

Enjoy :o

Sue :D

How about drawing around a child's hand and cutting out. Do the same with an adult's hand, and cover them both with cubes, buttons, etc. Lots of language about more/fewer and about big and small areas. You could do it with pictures of animals too, eg an elephant and a mouse! A sign saying "How many cubes will cover this picture? Guess then try!" will make it clear to everyone taking part.

thank you guys,

that document was fantastic! i havent seen it before and has given me loads of great ideas and ill save it for use in the future :)

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)