Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Time To Ask For Help - Maths

I am reslly struggling and so asking for help. I am currently a rec and Year 1 teacher. I taught this two years ago - and last year did straight rec, and since feb am back to a mixed class. The parents from the year 1 children want a formal curriculum- that what they had up until feb this year.

My school uses the scholastic maths books - and I have been given the Year 1 book to do with my 10 yr 1 children - even though 3 are working at rec level.

Basically my new head is coming in on wednesday to obs and wants my weekly and lesson plan - and I have no idea how to start, because I feel that I am being too formal, and basically using the book and then 'dumbing down' for my rec - which really doesn't feel right - and something I'm sure OFSTED (who are due any minute) also won't like.

Is there anyone who can give me a brief weekly plan for maths - the ones I used before had me spliting the rec and year and so doing inputs at different times, and then having TAs covering the main activities, whilst I did introductions and plenaries, and that won't work now.

Am just really stuck on how to do this summer term.

Thanks for any help I get

Emily

I also teach in a mixed R/Y1 class and sometimes it is so difficult to keep everyone happy. You have to remember that whatever you do, you really are trying to do the best for all the children in your class. The way i organise my maths is i do i quick 5-10min introduction with the whole class where we focus on counting an number recognition. I then send off the LA children (most are YR and 3 Y1). I then spend a little more time with the Y1 children developing a skill they are working on. The children who i have sent off either complete a teacher led activity with my TA, and this could be linked to any of the 6 areas, or they go and have their child choice time. I usually then work with a group of Y1 (or MA YR) children for 10/15 mins on a numeracy linked activity the other groups independently complete an activity.

Sorry that was all a little long winded!!!!! I have had our head in 3 times to observe and our local authority maths advisor and the EY advisor have also been in. They all seemed to be happy with how it was running. It seems to work for us and our children.

I hope this helps

Sounds like you are between a rock and a hard place a bit!

I can't really help as although I have R and 1, I only have 2 year 1s (the weakest from their yr group - the others are in a mixed 1/2 class). These 2 fit in nicely with one of my YR groups (not the top one though) for maths activities, but are in my room for their Year 1 year for a reason - and that is because this learning environment is right for them (as well as their academic level of course). Is there a reason you inherited the Year1s? Seems a bit odd mid-year. I understand that you are feeling the pressure from the parents, but perhaps the head needs to speak to them and explain that as they are in a different class now, it is not going to be the same as where they were before (not just because you have YR, but because you are a different teacher).

I would be tempted to show the head the planning you are using but explain that your gut instinct is that this isn't right. You don't really have much time to change it and there aren't any guarantees that it will work for you anyway. I am always tweaking my planning and still haven't come up with a perfect solution.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)