Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Whatever Next

We have been doing 5 little men in a flying saucer with Rec class this week and the children are really loving the space theme-thought I would do Whatever Next by Jill Murphy next week. Can anyone suggest any good ideas to develop this or point me in the direction of some useful resources please. We have set up a space role play area and I have a Story sack for Whatever Next to use- have trawled the internet but not found anything other than a powerpoint for the story. I think I am brain dead now and not even a drop of wine has passed my lips !!

Any ideas gratefully received.

Ive done this where we worked in pairs and each pair though of ideas about what the box could be, where we want to go on our adventure, who we might meet, what else we might need, what will we do when we get there. Got some really good role play and facial expression work from it.

really easy and very accessible for the chn.

Lucie x

We did a class role-play (well, a few children did the acting and the others directed them and did the words, said what was coming next, etc). Had a big box, a colander and my wellies (they loved wearing them rather than their own!) The children then thought of, and found, the other props we needed. I took photos of all the scenes and made it into a class book with a simplified version of the story for the children to read - which they still love even though we did it 5 months ago!

Also, sat in circle with box in the middle. Talked about bear who went to the moon. Chn thought about where they would like to go, then took it in turns to get in box and say 'I will go to ....' One child fell intot the box as she was so excited it was her turn! The chn then write their sentence (or the sounds they could hear at the time - this was back at beginning of november) - their writing was really fab (even the weaker chn) cos they had got so much from using their own ideas and being in the box!

We did the role play thing but also -

Wrote lists on basket shaped paper of what we would take on our moon picnic

Made moonscape collages from egg boxes and paper mache -sprayed or painted them silver or covered with foil

Looked at real moon pictures and talked about what we would see if we went ther

Tested out different materials to make a helmet to keep Baby bear dry

have fun- I love this book!

some great ideas, thanks! we are doing this as a focus book in a few weeks, so these ideas are very helpful. We are having a big focus on books and rhyme and when looking at this book also thought we would look at Teddy Bear Teddy Bear and Hey diddle diddle

Clare

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)