Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Dpp Core Unit 3 - Help Please

Hi all,

I am a bit stuck (not to mention short of time) am currently doing core unit 3 of DPP and I am struggling a bit on NEC 2 build up assignment it asks

'identify 4 ways in which your setting complies with legal requirements to provide an inclusive environment'

tutor advice states - 'you need to identify the 4 main legal requirements of your home country, which relate to an inclusive environment, and also the relevant National Standards now within the childcare Act 2006. Then you will need to state how your setting complies with each one'

My problem is 'the 4 main' bit as there is loads of legislation!!

So those of you who have already done this bit please can you let me know what you have put :o

Hiya Vicky

Im doing 3 next ..in the middle of optional unit at present ... so i havent technically done 3 (!)but i had these down !! As for main 4 ? I think I would go for eyfs 2007, DDA 2005, SEN code of practise 2002, ? Human Rights ? I agree is a tricky one .. it is difficult to choose when some of the materials are not up to date and unit 3 is sooooo vague !! Good luck ! Claire

Education Act 1970, 1996

 The Equality Act 2006

 Disability Discrimination Act (DDA) 1995, 2005

 Race Relations Act 1976

 Race Relations Amendment Act 2000

 Sex Discrimination Act 1976,1986

 Children Act 1989, 2004, 2006

 Special Educational Needs and Disability Act 2001

national standards 9 and 10 -now in EYFS via childrens act 2006

united nations conventions on the rights of the child 1991

hey vicky i had

disabilty discrimination act 1995

Sex discrimination act 1986

SENDA (special education needs and disability act)

EYFS 2008

Every child matters

welfare requirements

Human rights act 1998

UNCRC 1989

Childcare Act

but also we looked at diversity as a form of inclusion, things in our company policies such as catering for special diets i.e Halal, Kosher etc and welcome posters, diffrent languages spoken, celebration of festivals etc

Hope that helps

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks again guys, did you then discuss how your setting complies with the legislation or did you just describe the legislation. So far I have described

UNCRC

childrens Act 2004 and ECM

Race Relations

SENDA & DDA

National standards

I have then given an example of how my setting complies with each one e.g

The Special Educational Needs and Disability Act 2001(SENDA), came into force in 2002, previous to this education had been exempt from the 1995 Disability Discrimination Act. SENDA reflects the idea of an inclusive education, and that children are not separated or removed from their peers due to a particular need or disability. Ways in which my setting complies with the Act is by the appointment of a special educational needs co-ordinator and a dedicated amount within the budget for supporting children with special educational needs, including training.

I would greatly appreciate any thoughts, I am on the right lines! tutor seems to have droppped off the face of the earth again! :oxD:(

Oh yeah and I have got to get this posted on Monday :( :( :wacko: xD :rolleyes: :unsure: ;)

Hi vicky

sounds good to me - mine has to be in Weds !! Did you do the lead ins and get any good advice from tutor ? I would perhaps reflect on what your setting could do to improve inclusion ? Show the reflective aspects ?

Good luck ..

Claire

yeah mine was similar then you are anwsering the inclusion bit in there too :-)

good luck and I hope you find your tutor lol

I passed btw lol

Hi Claire,

I am submitting next week also so have got a fun weekend ahead and have got feedback from tutor this morning, and I have sent of both lead in assignments now. I have passed the first one and am awaiting feedback for the second one. I am thinking of combining P1 and P2 cos then I can just cut n paste what I did for the NEC assignment and add a few quotes and hopefully that will be OK.

On the lead in assignment there was a question about meeting physical needs, this doesn't seem to be a direct question in the cache assignment, I was thinking of using some of that in the parental partnership question (P6) and p10 about my own effectiveness.

Is this your last assignment - it is for me and I am looking forward to a large glass of wine on Saturday night when it should be all completed :o

thanks and congrats for passing - have you finished all the course now?

I have optional unit 2 to complete then all done woohoo

Hi vicky

yep this is my last one thankfully - i have enjoyed it and its stretched me but i am truly pooped this week - my little lad is ill and i have got nothing done since monday ..i am pulling in a late one tonight ! My boss is desperate for me to get it done and confirmed - ofsted r due - if we do pass and it gets thru moderation ...how long do we have to wait for written confirmation do you think ? bfn claire

I think its August, got that in my head from somewhere but I will double check my stuff. I know its a slow process and certificates take even longer but I am looking forward to having it finished :o

I thinkI need more coffee !! Having potter over the course materials ... are all the national standards now in the EYFS or are some not ? I thought they had been repealed in favour of it ?! I think i am going mad ! !

I don't know! I think they are, but I am still listing them seperately to be on the safe side. I have spoken in detail on UNCRC, the Childrens Act 2004/1989 & ECM, Race Relations 2000, Senda 2001 and DDA 1995 and standard 9. I have then just said that there are other bits of legislation relating to inclusion including:

-Human rights act 1998

- Sex discrimination Act 1975

- The nursery & grants maintained schools 1996

- The childcare Act 2006

- Early years foundation stage (learning & development requirements) order 2007 (which I think is the legal requirement for settings to deliver EYFS) :o

And that is 650 words !!!!! I will have to get better otherwise i will have far too many.

Hi viky - know what you mean ..I will have to do some serious trimming ! Written 2163 words and still only half way ! I hate trimming down cos its like russian roulette !! Have i cut out something vital !! I had a lovely surprise today ...... I got an A for my optional unit 3 ! Gobsmacked dosent really cover it ! Mind you given me a boost as i sit here freezing in spare room and all are asleep ! How are you doing ?

P9 - is this relating back to the suportive and safe do you think or just general about teamwork. Ionly realised today that p7/9 wasnt in the lead ins ! Happy typing anyway ....

claire :need yet more coffee !

Not surprised and that time of night - managed to get mine finished yesterday and in the post although P9 was dire! but had so few words left and didn't want to slash anymore of my inclusion or safeguarding stuff.

Here's what I put for P9

Effective working relationships, based on mutual respect and good communication can have a dramatic effect on a setting and all its users. Team work is a key feature of many successful settings, accompanied by strong and consistent leadership and a supportive team with clear roles and responsibilities. Good communication within a team prevents misunderstanding and promotes confidence and trust. When communicating verbally it is important for all team members to listen carefully to and take account of the views of other members even if they do not agree with them; this promotes mutual respect and understanding of another person’s viewpoint. All members of the team should feel that they have the right to contribute to relevant discussions, and the confidence to do so. Non- verbal communication is also important; a smile can put some-one at ease very quickly. If a lot of information, or formal information, needs to be disseminated then it may be more appropriate to choose a written format. It is still important to choose your words carefully to avoid confusion. Written communication can also be looked at again for reference. Team meetings should be arranged at a time that is convenient for everybody and everybody should be informed and invited to contribute to the agenda.

I am laughing at it as I am pasting it - basically cos I had completely had enough by this stage and was truly clutching at straws - hope you weren't up all night. :o

No not up all night 3am last night !! Still I HAVE FINISHED !! Well done for finishing too .. it feels so good ... and hopefully even better when we get the results ! thanks for all the advice. claire

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)