Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

How Do Maps Get Made?

This was a super question posed by a 4 year old in my class after a non-fiction reading session. Can anyone tell me how I can answer this (i.e tell me how maps are made ) in simple language please?

thanks for you help, in advance

Isn't it called 'cartography?' I used to paint maps for an engineering consultants many years ago, but I didnt have to draw them. Dont children ask some cracking questions? xD:o

How about,

Well lets make one :o

My recent Pirate day, I drew an arial view of the room, hid a box of treasure, stuck a peel off dot on the "map" and the child worked out where to find the treasure. Then with a little support she hid the treasure and I asked her where to put the dot.

If you haven't got a peel off dot photocopy a sheet of the map for each child that wants to play and draw a cross. you could also add arrows for the direction of how to get to the treasure.

It worked really well and they picked up the concept very quickly.

Peggy

Did you know the first A-Z of London was made by a lady (whose name I forget but could be something like Phyllis or Agness Pearsall) who walked each and every road, lane or path in London and then drew up what she found?

Maz

Guest Tracey F

Another good site is www.multimap.com - if you type in your town or postcode, then click on the aerial photo, then 'mouse' over it the layout of the roads is kind of superimposed over the top - great for working out where school / home is on the aerial photo and seeing how the map represents the things on the photo.

Hope that makes sense!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)