Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Safe Lifting Policy?

Guest Spiral

Guest Spiral

Hello,

does anyone have a policy for safe lifting? Without having done the manual handling course I'm a little stuck.

Is it worth my doing the course? Just a thought, I can't see anything that I lift that's heavy when all of it's on wheels, and we don't lift children.

Spiral.

no I dont and i recently filled in a feedback form for the LEA regarding training and asked them to provide some sort of course which covered that as well as other health and safety issues. i think there may be a poster or something on the Health and Safety Executive website - have you tried there? i'll have a look later and see if I can find something.

A

I recently did a H & S course with my LA but through a company called AQUA Leisure Safety and Training Services. The chap who led course was v good, very sensible and had worked within a H&S capacity within EY settings. He advised everyone to do a manual handling course if we were a packaway setting. I haven't done the course yet but if you are wondering what to put in a policy then the course leader recommended his company's website and the H & S website as you can ask questions and they will reply so it is something you could ask them for advice directly, or on HSE website try searching the FAQ

AQUA Leisure and Safety click on 'further information please' and you can complete a form to ask a specific question

or

HSE

The HSE also do a Manual Handling Assessment chart (which I've just downloaded) and that has some useful tips too

Hope you find what you're looking for

slightly off what you were asking,I think, but how do people feel about babies and small children being picked up by their wrists?? I worry when I see this happen ( not at my setting!), but is there evidence to back up my concern that this might be harmful to children??

Guest jenpercy
slightly off what you were asking,I think, but how do people feel about babies and small children being picked up by their wrists?? I worry when I see this happen ( not at my setting!), but is there evidence to back up my concern that this might be harmful to children??

AAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH. Never pick up or pull by the arms. I am trying to get safe restraint training but I know tis much- we have older children BUT the principles are the same in fact we need safe restraint for older children with special needs or behaviour management needs, but the principles apply to any child putting themselves or others in danger. Is this sort of thing covered in manual handling?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)