Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Gwyl Dewi Hapus!

Steve

I am not Welsh myself but have very happy memories of my favourite secondary school teacher many many many moons ago coming to assembly each year with a leek pinned on to his suit, boy did it whiff by the end of the day. My music teacher had a daffodil pinned on her dress this morning and greeted me with "Happy St David's day" in Welsh and my eldest is named David so somewhere along the line Wales has made an impression on me. Maybe its Mr Williams my teacher that did that ................ sigh!

Gizzy

and you said you didnt know any Welsh!

My Welsh born nephews find St Davids day a very uninteresting occasion in their English school now they live here again!

So hope its been a good one if youre celebrating!

Hello

Had a great day at work. Children wearing Welsh dress, playing welsh music, making Welsh rarebit and later on leek stirfry. Observational paintings of daffodils were very interesting and circle time with my basic Welsh was fun. :o

Looking forward to next year but I'm thinking what to do for St George's Day. Do the English celebrate it?

Nos da

I work in England and we usally do something for st patrick day adn st david , however last year did make big effort to mark st georges too had cooked breakfast for parents and flags and stuff. Most of my english friends dont too anything for it though, cant see what all the fuss is about st davids day!! nos da

Would appreciate ideas for St George's Day. I agree with you, Sue R, it is important to celebrate St George's Day. I've lived in England for over 10 years and never seen much done for St George's Day, not even at my old Primary School (apart from a 10 minute assembly/story by Head).

I remember Eistedffod (sp?) at school being my favourite day of the year (even beating Sports day). We dressed up in National costume (many boys in miners costume). Brownies and cubs came in uniform. We would sing the national anthem in Welsh, listen to stories about St David in assembly. We had poetry, public speaking, painting, dancing and handwriting competitions (inter-house competition). This was in a school in South East Wales, so you can imagine how it was celebrated in Welsh Wales and in the North.

On a separate note, Wales are doing so well in six nations (once again I can feel proud to be Welsh in England)! :)

Hey yes!

it's really good to see them back on top form! Even though I'm an 'England' rugby fan, I've always enjoyed the Welsh game.

Well better get back to digging out activities! :o

Sue :D

Totally agree Steve. I could hardly speak at the end due to all my shouting and cheering. Was also close to tears. Now Wales v Ireland may be a different situation.