Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Our Topic This Term Is 'markets'.....help!

Hi

Our topic in my reception class for the next 3 weeks is that of 'markets'. I am really struggling for ideas and activities to set out for this topic!

Our role play area will be set up like a market stall and for numeracy we are bringing in money and counting etc. We are also going to bring in healthy eating too but other than that we are a bit stuck.

If anyone has any ideas especially for literacy I would really appreciate any input :o)

thanks a lot xD

xx

Guest LornaW

Welcome sparklesinblack!

My first thought is do your children know what a market is? Can you take them for a trip to a market?

If not can you find a video about markets or ask a stall holder to come into school and set up for a market?

I find that children need to experience these types of activities if they are to fully engage and understnad them. Once all of that is done then there are nursery rhymes, buying and selling, all of the types of things you can buy in a market, set up your own market stall in the way market traders do with bread crates etc in the outside area as very few markets are indoors.

Then find out which stall if the most popular, and by then you will see what the children are interested in and you can follow this interest.

Good Luck.

Lorna

Then theres writing shopping lists for things they need to buy, making labels for the market stall, perhaps they could all contribute to a non fiction book about markets - using the digital camera to take pictures of their role play area in full swing as a market and writing captions to go with the pictures - sorry thats all I could think of at the moment!

I like the story "Dont Forget the Bacon" by Pat Hutchins but my yr 1s found it quite difficult in the Autumn term although I have used in reception in the past.

Why have you chosen this topic, that might help you with some ideas?

Why don't you ask your children what they want to learn about? I always choose themes that my children have shown interest in so use their ideas as the main source of inspiration for planning.

The market theme can easily link into food, you could do a survey of childrens favourite food, sorting/counting different fruit. Lots of cooking opportunties etc.

Thank you everyone there are some lovely ideas :o)

I was really hoping I could take them to a market but we will have to see if the Head agrees!

xx

Hi

Our topic in my reception class for the next 3 weeks is that of 'markets'. I am really struggling for ideas and activities to set out for this topic!

Our role play area will be set up like a market stall and for numeracy we are bringing in money and counting etc. We are also going to bring in healthy eating too but other than that we are a bit stuck.

If anyone has any ideas especially for literacy I would really appreciate any input :o)

thanks a lot xD

xx

how about a simple kims game not really literacy but would inprove concentration skills.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)