Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

How Do I Organise A Reception Class Into Learning Zones And What Shoul

freelander1

Could anyone help me with re-organising a reception class into learning zones? How would I organise 60 children with only 2 teachers and 2 TA's on a day to day basis? What are the learning zones that should be included in a reception class? HELP PLEASE!!!!!

• Like 1

Could anyone help me with re-organising a reception class into learning zones? How would I organise 60 children with only 2 teachers and 2 TA's on a day to day basis? What are the learning zones that should be included in a reception class? HELP PLEASE!!!!!

This is how our F2 classes are currently organised, but we will have to revise that when my F1 preschool becomes joined as a FSU so that the timetable more reflects the diverse needs. But anyway, for now;

1 room is the Number Room, with all PSRN type resources, puzzles, sorting figures, scales, dominoes, dice, money etc

1 is the writing and role play room, with a home corner, a 'stage' with microphone and stereo the other end, lots of ABC type puzzles and games, and a well stocked writing area. The other room is The Finding out room with sand, water, shells, construction, etc.

There is a small library area and creative area for painting/junk modelling etc. Then there is outside.

They start their day in class groups, with 1 teacher and 1 TA each they register, change books, do Sticky Kids and Letters and Sounds. Then they split into their school House Groups to mix them up across the year group, and have an idea initiated which they then spend some time exploring. This naturally leads in child led time, where they can take these ideas further or explore something else. At this point, staff are deployed across the areas to ensure they are on hand to scaffold and encourage this learning. They tidy up before lunch, go back into class groups and have a number session before lunch. The afternoon is handwriting, and sometimes adult intiated again before free-flow starts again.

I would organise your space to ensure that when you allow free flow you have enough adults to be in each area, whether that means combining zones, but there is little point having an area that can not be manned by an adult in some way to help children learn. So you would need 4 areas primarily. 1. Messy/Finding out, 2. Outdoors, 3. writing and role play and 4.numbers

perhaps? hth

Clare

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)