Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Food

Hi I have got the broad theme of Food for next half terms topic and apart from the usual ideas of tasting and printing using foodstuffs and cooking food, I am looking for inspiration and a flow of ideas to get me started! Don't want this to become too dry or too obvious if that makes sense?!! Any ideas at all would be great guys.

Cheers

Kazdav1

We started with stories..... The Little Red Hen, Handas Surprise, Olivers Vegetables, Olivers Fruit Salad and Olivers Milk Shake, pass the Jam Jim, The Giant sandwich, Jack and me and the Pizza, I don't like Peas, enormous turnip, gingerbread man..... and it was also pancake day!

We tasted bread from different countries having found them on a map first, We made bread. We compared dried, fresh and tinned sweetcorn and pineapple. We made tally charts and bar charts of our favourite fruits, breads etc. We made lists which we took to the shops to buy ingredients for pizza, designed a sandwich, did observational pictures of fruit using watercolours, made soup and invited a dentist to come in and talk about healthy eating. We talked about special food, food we liked and disliked and watched some "come outside" episodes showing how crisps and bread were made. It has also lead neatly onto planting in our garden.

I haven't ever done a theme or topic around food but it was something all the children were interested in. Whenever we talked about what we enjoyed or wanted as a treat ( for gaining class points) their ideas all involved cooking something, I found it was varied enough to include everyone and also covered so many areas of learning. Role play involved dentists, home, cafe, pizza parlour, a party scene and a fruit shop. Ideas were flowing from children and staff and it is obviously something all the children have direct knowledge of so they can all contribute.

S

Guest LornaW

You could also try cooking outside!

We have been making popcorn and hot chocolate in the woods and we are going to try cooking eggy bread on a big flat pan!!

Children love it!

Lorna

Marion, that link was lovely, I've just had fun making food faces!

Me too!!!!!

Don't forget 'The Very Hungry Caterpillar' and lots of opportunities for looking at non-fiction texts.

You could have role-play chinese or indian restaurants, a fish and chip shop, modelled on what the children know from their local area.

How about a garden centre outside which sells fruit and vegetable seeds. We used lots of clipart images of veg, laminated them individually and stuck them onto lolly or match sticks, then the children bought and planted them in pots, tuff spots etc. They planted them in patterned rows which looked great. Plant some quick growing foods as well - lettuce, cress etc. Use growbags if you don't have an adequate place outside. Grow a beanstalk inside in a see through bottle with the top cut off - I lined mine with a paper towel (like those used for drying hands), then filled inside with sand, then placed the bean seeds around the outside, between the paper and the container! We planted four separate seeds all placed a different way up to observe and compare if it made any difference to how the beans grew. My children loved that, especially when we came back after a holiday and they had grown loads!

The LSA I'm working with bought a book of craft activities (from one of those companies that brings piles of tat and a few books into staffrooms) and there was a lovely version of Mr Potato head using various veg and fruit.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)