Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

How Do You 'wrap Up' A Lesson /session?

Sorry if I've asked similar elsewhere - but can't seem to fnd out what Ineed to know :o

I'm sure you'll all help please - even if it's a 'yes we do' or 'no we dont', please answer!

In our reception classes we split each day into adult guided and child-initiated time.

During adult guided time I have a session of CLL and a session of PSRN. While literacy and numeracy are the main focus we incorporate the other areas into the activities. For example - In a PSRN session, we have one or two objectives (perhaps based on Early Learning Goals). I start by sharing an activity with the whole class for about 5 to 10 minutes (introducing the objective and modelling one of the activiites). Children are then sent to work in differentiated groups (two of which will have adult support). The learning objective is very similar but obviously each group has a different target to reach or an easier way o achieve it depending on ability. Activities are practical and also incorporate writing or recording frames where appropriate. At the end of the session, before we tidy away we come back to the carpet, check understanding and maybe move on, if everyone has 'got it'.

Sorry about all that rambling - hope you're sill with me!!!!!

- so in effect, it's a three part lesson of sorts. Does anybody else work this way in Reception? If not what do you do and how to you wrap up the session - check understanding - close gaps - move the cildren on etc?

I do the same as you. It's nice to come back together, check understanding, find out how all the groups have been doing and talk about what we have been learning. It may be a tad traditional but the kids love to share what they have been doing and recieve a sticker! I don't do it in a really formal way, and I don't always do it. Have been observed by HT and SIP etc and they have never said it is not appropriate when I have done it. Appropriate I think is the word- if it is worthwhile then do it, if no purpose then don't?! Usually it's at the end of a morning as we continue the same thing throughout the whole morning, indoors and outdoors with a different focus each day.

Would be interested to see what others think....

I like to review the learning. I don't organise my day exactly as you describe, I tend to have a carpet session which sets up the learning that will be delivered in the guided group - but i only do one group at a time which runs all morning and sometimes into the afternoon. At the end of the day I review the learning but also discuss learning that the children have been doing in their CI play which runs all day along side the guided groups. I often do a very mini plenary type thing with the whole group as they finish their adult led task to ensure I know they grasped something or not!

I like to review the learning. I don't organise my day exactly as you describe, I tend to have a carpet session which sets up the learning that will be delivered in the guided group - but i only do one group at a time which runs all morning and sometimes into the afternoon. At the end of the day I review the learning but also discuss learning that the children have been doing in their CI play which runs all day along side the guided groups. I often do a very mini plenary type thing with the whole group as they finish their adult led task to ensure I know they grasped something or not!

I do the same as this really - have one carpet session which sets up learning activity for the day and then at the end of the day use pictures children have taken to reveiw learning in CI as well as celebrating achievements of children at group times etc.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)