Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Do Teach Pe?

Guest Cathryn1974

Guest Cathryn1974

hi

We are currently debating at school whether PE should be taught remotely and quite formally (children undressing, going to a sports hall etc.) or whether or not we should allow them to progress physically during CI play and smaller focus activities.

Please could you let me know how you do it?

Thanks again :)

Cathryn :o

I am in nursery attached to a school. We do PE once a week once the children nhave settled. Start with going over to hall not changed and use Sticky Kids CDs which are great. Then change plimsolls then move onto the whole lot. Change in Nursery in our 3 key groups of ten. keep biro handy to write names on clothes otherwise a nightmare. Then each week we do variety of normal topics-travelling, balancing, ball skills, parachute games etc. In summer term I get climbing apparatus out and they love it.I think perfectly safe. prior to that we use mats, benches and horses. Hard work but kids love it.

same as dreamgirl really, start off small and build on! we wash pe kit at school so we don't lose it, putting register numbers on labels - easier to keep tabs on it all.

'Official' PE equipment can be the only way soem children can access this type of physical activity adn so there is a case for it in some areas of the country - follow your instincts!

Jennim

We have 2 sessions of PE a week, pretty much from week 1. Our children really benefit from the opportunities to dress/undress themselves and there are also a lot of skills etc that we wouldn't be teaching them if we didn't have PE sessions in the hall. For example gymnastics- we get all the large equipment, wall bars, benches, tables etc etc out. It would be hard for us to assess PD 4 (Moves with confidence, imagination and in safety. Travels around, under, over, and through balancing and climbing equipment.) otherwise as we have limited climbing equipment in our outside area. Our children love doing PE and I think it's really important to develop those positive images/experiences as early as possible. (Can you guess I'm PE Coordinator in my school!)

We started going over to the hall after Christmas. Leraning to take off shoes and socks + jumpers and obviously the reverse. The main objective in the hall is to get used to the space and make the most of it. The children find it hard not to be attached to their friend at all times so we are working on that at the moment. We will start getting changed into a PE kit in the last term. By that time most children will have learnt how to put on/take off jumpers so that's a big step towards managing the rest of the kit. We only do this so that children don't find it too hard in Yr1 as their time is more limited then. Otherwise there are plenty of opportunities to enjoy physical challenges in the outside area during CI activities. Even going under/over - dens, tyres, crates, etc.

I currently do PE twice a week, one indoor and one outdoor and the children change into their PE kits. I think its really valuable to teach children to change independently and cannot see why children shouldn't be doing this from September. I have recently considered dropping onr of PE slots as my children have free flow to outside area most of the time so have lots of opportunities to climb, be energetic etc. So interested to hear others views - my children do love PE though and definitely think its important to have at least PE slot to make sure all children access some physical development.

I currently do PE twice a week, one indoor and one outdoor and the children change into their PE kits. I think its really valuable to teach children to change independently and cannot see why children shouldn't be doing this from September. I have recently considered dropping onr of PE slots as my children have free flow to outside area most of the time so have lots of opportunities to climb, be energetic etc. So interested to hear others views - my children do love PE though and definitely think its important to have at least PE slot to make sure all children access some physical development.

just wanted to add that I am in reception so would be different for nursery! I'm sure changing for PE in nursery is a nightmare!

Hi

I am particularly intersted in this as its one of my jobs for Easter! We take our preschoolers up to the school hall once a week and use Sticky kids tapes, play parachute games, ball skills etc but wonder if we have benches out or some of the other small apparatus are there generic risk assessments that I could alter for our circumstances or do I have to do them from scratch?

Hope one of you experienced PE people may know

Caro

I am just a Nursery teacher in a primary school and when we take our nursery to school hall for PE and do all the things you describe including large wall bars/climbing apparatus, i don't do any special risk assessment. never thought about it actually. just our pe lesson.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey!

PE is something that has been a big discussion in our school this yr.... we've made lots of changes in general, no break time, no assemblies etc and PE was the hardest one to let go off, but decided to give it a try. So what we do now is 1 PE session every half term (so 6 per year!) thats last about an hour and a half and we just get the large equipment out, like wall bars etc. and explain safety etc then let them initiate exactly what they want to do. It keeps the awe and wonder of it but still they get to use the equipment. Then the rest of the physical development comes from the continious provision - free flow to outside and we have a climbing frame out there, bikes, constructions, and PE equipment that i begged the PE coordinator! As for getting changed, although it sounds like a bit of a nightmare, when the children want to dress up (we have fancy dress out all the time) they fully undress to put it in on so it hits that skill of dressing and undressing and works really well after a bit of training on where to put their clothes!! Any children who i really notice arent accessing the large physical equipment do 20mins fun activities like tunnels, balance beams, parachute etc with my lsa once a week (thats only 6 chn across the yr group of 60 that have needed that as the rest access everything well)

its been a success for us and give the children more time for CIL, so we are keeping it up next yr! hope this helps :)

I have always understood that any PE apparatus used should not be of a height that an adult cannot lift a child down from i.e so that if they were stuck and couldn't get down on their own an adult could get them down without having to climb onto the apparatus themselves and so wall bars were only ment to be for keystage 2 and above unless they were designed for younger children. I have spoken to many FS and Key stage 1 teachers who have shared the same understanding.

Edited by Guest

hey mimi, we use wall balls but a short way up we have bright white tape and we teach the children they are to climb no higher than that, we also find that the children risk asess themselves and tend to not do somethng they think they cant so we dont have to lift them off x

PE lessons are about the physical activity as much as the changing dressing activity- my reception class PE lessons for the first few weeks were spent 15 mins (minimum but usually quite quick as flashing trainers and different shorts are quite exciting)) changing into pe kit-- five minutes PE-- and 45 minutes getting back into clothes. took longer getting redressed as in depth discussions are needed about "my princess pants" "you have blue pants" "you've got boobies" and time added on for sock swapping, vest hunting, putting shirts on upside down and my personal favourite- usually a boy- running about the room in his pants telling everyone "you can see my tummy" or any other part of his anatomy that is usually best left covered whilst at school.

I just talor mine to what the kids are like on the day. Sometime sthey are really into it and are happy for half an hour and other times they may be tired or just need a quick session. So I find its nice to have the hall timetabled and then you can use it as and when you need x

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)