Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Interview For Reception... Phonics Ideas Please!

Hi everyone, wondered if anyone could help. I have an interview for a Reception job on mon day and I have to read a book to a small group and then teach a phonics activity to them ( linking to the book). I have 20mins for both and the children are on phase 3.

Any ideas much appreciated

thanks so much

Helen x :o

hi helen, good luck with the interview.

Ive used "Peace at last" for introducing the idea that letters have sounds. You could try that and introduce some phrase 3 sounds to reinforce alongside a re enactment of the story?

Another one I have done is 'We're going on a bear hunt' - think of other places family could go through and write sound effects together e.g. Uh-oh a beach! What sound would the waves make? How could we write that sound? You could ask the children to think of places or you could have some ready as it is a phonics focus. Maybe they could all have white boards, you could show pictures and they could think of sound effects and write down? Good luck!

Kathryn

Guest LornaW

Have you seen its Raining Its Pouring we're exploring and the Ding Dong Bag by Polly Peters and Jess Stockham both fantastic for phonics work as well as fun fun books!

Lorna

Helen, by phase 3 children should be reasonably secure with the idea of phonemes so I would provide the Phase 3 phonemes on card and then retell the story with the children, substituting the graphemes for the objects that disturb Mr Bear, encouraging the children to say the phoneme.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)