Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Ecat Parents Evening

currycraver

We are in the second wave of ECAT. We are planning to have a parents evening. Each member of staff will be setting up one activity for parents to play with. I have read with interest the ideas for messy play. Any further ideas would be gratefully received. I plan to do a brief chat about ECAt so any ideas for a powerpoint presentation would be gratefully received. I am very nrevous- sill;y really as I am normally confidant. Will let you know how I get on with the parents evening. Thank you to every one who has shared

• 1 month later...

Hi currycraver

I am very interested to know how your ECAT presentation went. I am planning a similar presentation as part of our parents evening next week. We have only just started ECAt and I had my first training day last week. I know it's very early days and I haven't done any of the audits yet...still really getting my head round it all. I was thinking of explaining basically to the parents what ECAT is and what our involvement in it is and include a mention of our aims and a few statistics..but I really want to keep it as jargon free as I can and focus on the things we do at nursery already to promote communication skills and language development - small world play, water play, role play, dressing up, snack time, story time, sensory/messy play etc....and show some photos.....and then maybe chat about the kinds of things parents do at home and ask them to mention times that they think the most communication takes place at home....meal times, shopping, cooking, bath times, bedtime etc I think the best approach is to keep it simple and to give lots of practical ideas....I am also going to show a couple of our story boxes and story sacks, provide examples of song sheets with the words to some of the most popular songs we sing at nursery, and show a couple of "Chatterboxes" we are developing that they can borrow to encourage talk at home.

What kinds of things did you include? Did you do a powerpoint? I have looked at the "I Can" website and the national literacy trust and plan to include some information from there too.....The whole presentation thing is all a bit scary though!!!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)