Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Reception Induction In A Mixed Yr/1 Class

Hi,

I might be teaching mixed reception year 1 from september, and am already trying to get my head around it. I am currently thinking about september. This year the reception children had a settling in period of mornings only before they stayed full time. I was just wondering what people who had mixed age groups do, so that I can start thinking that way and letting parent know - should my class be mixed.

thanks,

Emily

I guess you would have the y1s all day and the yR part time (either ams, pms or some am some pm) until yR are full time. I have a few Y1s each year but my yR just start full time from day one.

my head will decide whether my class is mixed or not - but I have a new head coming after Easter so can't ask yet. How I take the reception in is entirely up to me. Taking them all in from day one, does sound the much easier option than staggering them,

Hi Emily

I've worked in a Reception/Year one unit, i presume you will have low ability year ones in with you? I found it really difficult as we had 60 children in our class and three Teachers. It was har encorporating the EYFS and NationalCurriculum for the year ones, especially as our year ones were not ready for the Nationa Curriculum. After great debate with my head and EYA and Parents' it was decided to let the year ones move up to a year one class, i feel that this has failed the children, in regards to their holistic development. These childre are struggling in year one and will not be on target. That's why i think the whole process has to be planned carefully and that all the pro's and con's of having a mixed unit is going to be beneficial to the children!

Hope this helps :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)