Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Ratios - Trained /untrained Staff

Hello - I really, really meant to call ofsted today to find out the answer to this , but didnt quite get 5 seconds to do it !!!!

In a pre-school adult to child ratio and qualifications . If I have 4 members of staff working together, how many need to be trained to L3 ? I think the eyfs states that the person in charge should be at least L3 and half of all other staff but but with 4 that doesnt quite work as you cant have half a person - anyone help ?????

This doesnt usually come into play with us but we have had a hideous run of unusually high staff sickness and some days our emergency plans have been strained to a limit ! DIZZZZZ

I'm not sure of the rules tbh but in the pre-school I work in, we are all qualified. 3 or 4 of us work directly with the children. I have a FD, am doing BA Hons and EYP, two others have level 2 and one has level 3. The manager, who tends to be supernumeray is also Level 3.

Don't think that is particularly helpful but that is how it is done where I am.

Thanks Clare - I have a BEd and QTS , but Im thinking of the days when Im not there - good old eyfs welfare guidelines -wonder if I have to cut someone in half !!!!!

Guest jenpercy
Thanks Clare - I have a BEd and QTS , but Im thinking of the days when Im not there - good old eyfs welfare guidelines -wonder if I have to cut someone in half !!!!!

Ideally that woul be 2 out of 3 qualified to Level 2. BUT if you could say when visited that this was unusual because of staff sickness, or that one was almost qualified OFSTED would be sympathetic. Don't think it's all Level 3 yet

Hi we rang Ofsted to ask the very same question a couple of months ago and were told. that 50% of our staff had to be qualified at anyone session. tricky when we only have 3 staff on duty each session!

We asked the question then about 3 staff and they said would have to be 2 qualified (ideally to level 3 or level 2 working towards 3) we can only have 1 unqualified at any one time.. the level 3 isnt coming in till 2015 according to my local LEA but many settings are already striving and enforcing this (been proactive) it was intitally 2010 according to the EYFS so it is somewhat of a grey area... and as always confusing for us at the sharp end! :o

Edited by mk5698

Hello - well i have at last checked the situation out ( got email reply ) and with 4 members of staff the person in charge must be at least qualified to L3 and two others to at least L2 and only one can be unqualified . So its crystal clear now - I am relieved .

Hi Dizzy

Any chance we can see the reply? My supervisor has been told that with 5 staff, 2 qualified to level 3, others unqualified is ok, as you cant have half staff qualified. Hoping to get the unqualified staff on the new diploma course once its all sorted out.

Well, personally I would say that you need to round up, rather than down. If it states that 50% is the minimum then, well, that is the minimum! Therefore whether it be 3, 5 or 7, you would need to have more than half qualified to meet the minimum standard. i.e. 2, 3 or 4 etc.