Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Child Friendly Risk Assessment

Hi all,

I am planning on letting the children conduct their own risk assessment in an outside area and wondered if anyone has an example.

Thanks

Net x

Guest jenpercy

We have it in our policy somewhere that we do this and then we do it verbally with the children and it is signed off by the member of staff that is actually responsible

I have an adult one and we do it verbally but I wondered if anyone used one that the children can actually do so they can learn to manage their own risks and understand a safe environment

I dont do this but what a fabulous idea, this really gives the children a voice

cant you just use your normal risk assessment forms

we worked rules with the children and had them laminated and put up

I really really like this idea Quidzy, thank you.

I am wondering about asking the children to draw areas / equipment which they think could be dangerous. We could then ask them to rate the danger with traffic light signs (red for very dangerous, amber for a bit dangerous, and green for OK). This could then at least generate discussion about ways they can reduce risks - but I can't think at the moment how to record this. We could then make the whole thing into a book.

I'll keep mulling on this one, as I really want to do it.

Gruffalo2 :oxD

I use a really simple one with my reception class. It has photos of places around the classroom (we have a separate one for outside) and the word next to them with a box for the children to tick or cross as to whether it is tidy/safe. There is also a place for them to write their names and the date etc. The areas we have for inside are- chairs tucked under, toys off the floor, door shut, sand swept up, floor near water tray dry, toilets clean. there is also a space for them to write other hazards they find at the bottom. If they do find something that they deem to be unsafe they are responsible for finding someone to tidy it or sort it themselves.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)