Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Expectations

Lucie

Hi I teach in Reception and from September will have a level 3 working with me for part of the time. She has or is just about to complete level 2. She has worked in the class before, but until Sep will be anywhere people want her to help out.

I did an NVQ before I started my teacher training, but know that this it is slightly different now. I am wondering what my expectations should be of her, she is 18, sometimes lacks initiative and knowing that she is going on to level 3 makes me want to boost her knowledge etc so i feel confident that she has the necessary background to 'carry off' this qualification if/when she leaves the school in July (this is a placement).

Hope that makes sense - any advice welcomed.

Lucie

My feeling is initially to make sure she knows exactly what you expect of her in very practical terms. My understanding of NVQs is that the student should fulfill the requirements of their course through their work, so if she is confident in her role and can experience as much as possible you should be going a long way to support her. However if she is sometimes lacking initiative I would say knowing her responsibilities inside out should help her to do the work well. Does that make sense? I'm basing this advice on experience of a member of staff who is lacking confidence doing her NVQ who previously was a very good staff member. Her issues seem to stem from questioning her role rather than not knowing it but if your student is relatively new to the setting it might be similar.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)