Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Jolly Phonics

Hi

We use Jolly Phonics in Reception. There seems to be something of a County push to replace it with Read, write inc. I was wondering if anyone out there had had experience of both and if you had any preferences.

Happy Friday and thanks

LT59

I believe read, write inc is a much bigger investment both financially and in time, also Im not sure it would stand alone in reception. What happens in KS1?

Thanks for replying. I agree-from what I can gather it's a huge financial investment and works best if it's a whole school initiative. Just wondered if anyone was a huge fan and I could get my head round how it's significantly better than what we have in place...which works! Not sure why people want to change. Possibly there's been a bit of a publicity drive.

:-)

Hi

We use Letters and Sounds but with Jolly Phonics, I find the stories and actions really help the chn remember the sounds and they enjoy it.

LittleMiss

Thanks Little Miss-ours love it too so I really don't want to change.

Susan-you're right-why change something when it works.

Feel much better now I've spoken to others

thanks

Read Write Inc come with some nice interactive whiteboard software where the sounds are read out along with an accompanying sentence (Children particularly like "oo; poo at the zoo"). However this is the only part I really like. I find the workbooks far too perscriptive and to be honest I'm not sure why the children aren't bored rigid by them. They aren't inspiring or fun and get them down to serious writing far too early in my opinion. I don't have much experience of it since I've only seen it in schools I've been on supply in, but they struck me as being quite old fashioned and without much room for repetition, since you work through a set series of books and workbooks and I couldn't really see what the alternative was to moving on or repeating exactly the same set of work if you got to the end of that particularly stage and the children didn't 'get it'.

Also I don't know if the schools I was in were doing it wrong but the sessions seem to be rather short and the children seem expected to get through an awful lot of reading and writing in them. Most of the workbooks I've seen were full of half finished pages of work.

Maybe I've had a skewed perception of it, possibly there are some people on here who will come forward as devotees of this scheme who can put me right. It would be interesting to hear how it's supposed to work.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)