Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Advice Please

I am the manager of a day nursery. I wasn't in work today as I was on training. This evening my Deputy called me about an incident today in the 3-5's room. My Deputy is also the Senior in this room

After lunch some children were in the book corner with a member of staff, another member was getting the sleepers settled and off to sleep, there were 2 other members of staff in the room; there were 14 children so well well in ratio.

The CD player stuck so the member of staff who was sitting with the children got up to fix it (its in the sleeping area playing low gentle music to help sleep, the person in the sleep area has a bad back at the min so the staff who went to fix it thought she would so she didnt have to get up off the floor - am I waffling??!)

Anyway whilst she was up fixing the player, literally a minute or so, 2 of the boys attacked, harsh I know but thats what it appears like, another little boy, the boy being attacked made no noise apart from very quiet "no, no", it was only when a little girl alerted someone that they realised what was happening.

The child who was attacked had bleeding scratches on his face and a bite mark on his wrist. My deputy dealt with the situation very well I believe, dealt with the attackers and gave lots of comfort to the attacked child (by the way all are just over 3). She rang the mum of the attacked child just to give her the heads up, mum was ok on the phone and didnt collect till after 5pm so not overly concerned at that point.

Only one of the attackers showed any remorse and apparently burst into tears when he was collected, parents very responsive and angry and disappointed etc), one was oblivious to what he had done (we have had concerns about his behaviour before but nothing like this, more on the not listening or doing what is asked of him, completely ignoring staff lines) and it is doubtful that mum will "have words" with him either.

Mum of the attacked child was very calm when she came to collect apparently, was shocked when she saw him, but Deputy gave lots of reassurances and explained that both boys had been spoken to and their parents told about the incident.

She has completed incident forms too. All staff in the room were very shocked and upset and from what I can gather took it in tuns to go out of the room for a little weep. Nothing like this has ever occured before.

So whilst I feel that in my absence my Deputy has done everything she should and could and I don't think I would have done anything differently can you lovely ladies offer any words of advice, where we go from here, any ideas for the future?

Clearly we need to address the behaviour of the boys, particularly one of them. I am sure that somewhere I work I have behaviour management plans given to me by and Ed Psych a few years ago.

Thanks in anticipation!

Hi Janny, quick little things arent they? As soon as your backs turned! :o

Presumably the staff wrote up the incident, if so, I'd take that as a basis to start behaviour obs on the two boys concerned. Do they pair up, have they attacked/bullied any other children? Start keeping a daily diary of their behaviour and set a review date for 6 weeks. Look closely at any triggers or any coersion, is there a leader in all this?

Keep repeating friendship stuff to all the children and how we can tell people to leave us alone.

If all the parents are happy that the incident has been dealt with I'd leave it for now, but observe the boys, being careful not to 'find' fault when you know you're looking for it! xD

thanks for your responses ladies. Parent of attacked child was fine this morning; we were all a bit worried how she would be once she had slept on it!

Dug out some old behaviour support plans I have and with a bit of tweaking we are going to use these to observe the other 2 boys behaviour and also to log their strengths.

Once again thanks Ladies :o