Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Continuous Provision?

Hi - don't know if this is a silly question. My daughter is currently working on a piece of research and has just asked me where the idea of Continuous Provision came from. I'm sure I should be able to answer this but, actuallly, I don't know if I can. Can any of you clever people out there give me some ideas. All I could think was that it evolved from children making choices and planning from their interests which made me think of Reggio Emilia but other than that I am stumped!

• 2 weeks later...

What a question anniepops, and I can see by the replies that we're all keen to tell you...

I think the idea of continuous provision has been around for many many years.. but I dont know who first coined the phrase.. d we have any historians out there who may know?

• 2 weeks later...
What a question anniepops, and I can see by the replies that we're all keen to tell you...

I think the idea of continuous provision has been around for many many years.. but I dont know who first coined the phrase.. d we have any historians out there who may know?

I seem to remember that it originated in the USA in the early 1900s when nurseries were opened for disadvantaged children and they found that this way of working maximised the learning opportunities. I used to use the Highscope approach in the nusery I worked in and I believe this was derived from the US way of working. Hope this helps as I am a bit fuzzy on the details as the course was about 30 years ago.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)