Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

My Dilemma...

Hi all,

I'm posting this topic here to keep it "private" and in the hope you can advise me...

As some of you may remember a client left recently and I've been weighing up the pros and cons of giving up childminding as, at the moment, I have one term time only, 5 days a week, mindee plus before and after school clients.

A job offer sort of fell into my lap, school based, 25 hours etc BUT it would mean letting this one family go so, wanting to be fair to them, I told them what I was considering.

They've come back to me with an incredibly generous offer and I don't know what to do xD

Having looked into day Nursery fees and discovered that it would cost them £38 per day, plus a half fees retainer for holidays, (This is CONSIDERABLY more than I charge - or have ever considered charging!) to do what I do.

They've offered to pay me that rate in return for me carrying on :o

I'm stunned - both by the fees and their offer!

I can't find any advertised rates for Day Nurseries - please can anyone confirm that this is in the ballpark?!

And any thoughts on how I respond would be greatly appreciated!

A shell-shocked Nona

I've never come close to earning that much a day let alone enough to warrent paying that much out! :o

Have you got to decide on the school job soon, when would they want you to start? It is a big decision but you need to decide where you want to go. Do you want to remain a childminder or wrk within a school with the possibilities it might generate?

I'm a librian, so really glad when others have to make a decision and not me! xD

Hi all,

I'm posting this topic here to keep it "private" and in the hope you can advise me...

As some of you may remember a client left recently and I've been weighing up the pros and cons of giving up childminding as, at the moment, I have one term time only, 5 days a week, mindee plus before and after school clients.

A job offer sort of fell into my lap, school based, 25 hours etc BUT it would mean letting this one family go so, wanting to be fair to them, I told them what I was considering.

They've come back to me with an incredibly generous offer and I don't know what to do xD

Having looked into day Nursery fees and discovered that it would cost them £38 per day, plus a half fees retainer for holidays, (This is CONSIDERABLY more than I charge - or have ever considered charging!) to do what I do.

They've offered to pay me that rate in return for me carrying on :o

I'm stunned - both by the fees and their offer!

I can't find any advertised rates for Day Nurseries - please can anyone confirm that this is in the ballpark?!

And any thoughts on how I respond would be greatly appreciated!

A shell-shocked Nona

This is an exceptional offer, they obviously hold you in high regard. Your dilema would be giving up the opportunity to work at the school, also when the child goes to school you will need to either find another child/ren to mind, or hope other opportunities to work within a setting are available to you. How do you feel, does the prospect of working at the school appeal more for the long term, or would you miss the one to one that you able to provide for your childminded child.

Claire x

Thanks! It's great to have other viewpoints and questions to think about..

I'd miss the one-to-one, following where the child leads, being my own boss, being home at each end of the school day for my daughter (I've been incredibly fortunate and worked from home all through her education to date) and being able to fit my uni coursework into the little ones nap times!

I'm not going to get those opportunities in a school, am I?

The family that have made this amazing offer have been clients, (and become friends) for 5+ years. I minded their eldest from 9months and still take her to and from school. Their youngest will start school in Sept 2012.

By that time I will have completed my FD (2011) and be working towards my BA. My daughter will have completed her GCSE's and be starting college.

That might be a better time to look at a school based post?! The school in question has a high number of children with SEN and there may be others needing one-to-one at that time.

Nona