Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Boys Behaviour!

Help! We have a group of about 8 boys who are becoming a nightmare to manage. They are very physical and so we are trying to meet their needs through our outdoor environment as they like to be outside, but certain aspects of their behvaiour are now becoming habitual and we need to break habits somehow.

They are running around inside screaming despite being reminded that we have inside and outsid evoices, they push and shove in group situations and will disrupt story tiem by making silly noises and lying on the floor. We are running out of our usual tried and trusted strategies to manage them, so any help would be appreciated! We are in Nursery.

i am having the same problem this year!!!!

i know its not a new idea but i've just changed my reward chart - we painted a huge snake on the wall with velcro names attached, they move along as they get a sammy snake point. The boys LOVE it! It seems to have really made a difference to their behaviour. i have never seen group of boys sit so smartly on the carpet (think they are all trying to out do each other!)

As well as all the rewards, do you have some kind of sanction in place for when this happens? They need to make a link between this behaviour and some kind of consequence, because otherwise they will start to believe that it is acceptable. After a while, gentle reminders about appropriate behaviour just go over a child's head if nothing actually happens. A time out for a minute or two with a staff member might calm them down?