Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

How Often Do You Do Long Focused Observations?

I have 14 children in my YR class and at the moment, my TA and I are trying to do one long focused observation per child every week but I can't say that they seem to be very useful. Do we have to do these so often?

We do Post it note observations as well and take what appear to be hundreds of photos but when analysing the observations they often don't tell us much.

Any helpful suggestions?

Thanks

Observations are meant to inform future planning, SO, if you feel your observations are not much use, then how do you inform your future planning?

We inform future planning via a mixture of informal and formal observations - gleaned from child initiated and focus activities.

There has to be a mix, otherwise I would not see a range of learning from some children - not all children go around all areas of provision counting and 'phonicing' the whole day long - no matter how 'wow' the provision! They are what they are!

We have a couple of children, who, even at this stage of the year. come in and do nothing in particular every day, in spite of 'encouragement' bordering on 'enforcement'!

Always look forward to moderation visit when I have to, yet again. 'prove' what I am talking about after 30 years in the job - Fab!

We have a couple of children, who, even at this stage of the year. come in and do nothing in particular every day, in spite of 'encouragement' bordering on 'enforcement'!

I would be interested in what you class as 'nothing in particular every day' as it sounds like perhaps their interests arent being met.

Each key person has 3 children a week to do a long observation we have 13 children in each group so over 6 weeks they should have all been observed. We also write a review of their progress once we have done the long observation and then meet with their parents to discuss it.

I went on a observation, planning and assessment course very recently and long observation are aimed at 6 per year per child. That is one every new term. It seems important to check what or where you are observing them to make sure you are covering a few areas i find it very easy to always observe outside, seem to have more time to watch. we have 22 children and have 3 members of staff two part time so I am key worker to 7 children, so it is do-able!! Making them count and inform the planning however! well that's a bit trickier!!

Hope that helps.

x

I am new to this place tonight and already getting involved! I can see this could become addictive!

Edited by Guest

Guest Greenhouse

Hi,

I do one long observation on each child during the first half term to focus on interste and to become more intune with each child however after that I only do long focused observations on children of concern.

I found that long observations take up a great deal of time both during and out of class time, sometimes with miminal use.

I find by being involved in the child initited play, and making systematic obs of all childrendaily, gives greater knowledge of each child and a better understanding of where to go next.

OFSTED inspector thought this to be good practise (but not sure if thats a good or bad thing, Ha ha!)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)