Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Room Ratios

Hi All

I would like to know how all you nurseries deal with the situation of when a key worker leaves their room, for example to take a child to their parent. Say for instance their are eight 2 to 3's in the room with 2 keyworkers, the keyworker leaves the room for a few minutes with a child, so leaving the other keyworker with 7 children, do you get cover in the room to keep the ratio correct, or is it ok by Ofsted to leave the other keyworker with 7 children for a few minutes.

I really don't know the answer to that. When I worked in nurseries, it happened all the time, taking someone to the toilet, getting medicine, talking to a parent. You just can't be there all of the time. The only thing you could do would be to take the rest of the children in your ratio with you but that is very impractical. I'm sure that ofsted wouldn't question this, but you can guarentee that the time that you do leave the room, another child will have an accident and someone will question why there was 1 member of staff with 7 children.

Sorry I've really not helped at all :o

Do you know I was wondering this myself at the weekend.

we have 2 rooms 1 of which we do adult led activities in occasionally, usually in keyworker groups - we always make sure 2 people are in this room however it can be really difficult to manage if 1 is in the toilet and another outside, and I was wondering if we could perhaps only have 1 person doing the activity?

Is it mandatory to always have 2 members of staff in a room, even if ratios would be fine with 1 staff member? is more a safeguarding thing?

Do you know I was wondering this myself at the weekend.

we have 2 rooms 1 of which we do adult led activities in occasionally, usually in keyworker groups - we always make sure 2 people are in this room however it can be really difficult to manage if 1 is in the toilet and another outside, and I was wondering if we could perhaps only have 1 person doing the activity?

Is it mandatory to always have 2 members of staff in a room, even if ratios would be fine with 1 staff member? is more a safeguarding thing?

I can't imagine it's mandatory to have two staff members in a room if it's within ratio, otherwise how would childminders and schools where it's one teacher to a class opperate? I think having one person doing the activity would be fine in terms of this.

I know our registration (playgroup with 2 1/2 to 5 year olds) stipulated that there should always be 2 adults 'on the premises' regardless of numbers of children. However, there were times when there was only one person in a room. The other adult was always easily called if there was an emergency though.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)