Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Science Week

Guest tinkerbell

Guest tinkerbell

Hi

Is anyone having a science week at school? We have never devoted a week to science so it should be interesting.We are planning on having an incubator for this half term and hopefully the eggs will be hatching during the week.One day we will split the school into Houses and the 4 teachers will have science experiments/investigations which the children will participate in during the day...each teacher yet to decide on their theme.Mine will probably be using the outdoors and identifying trees using the Nature Detectives identification sheets.

I had seen the idea of a competition or challenge where the children are invited to make a buggy/vehicle to transport an egg for 1metre....I thought this would be a better take on the decorated egg we tend to do for Easter! Has anyone done anything like this?How did it go?

Has anyone got any good ideas they could share?

Thanks Tinkerbell

We had a science week and my husband provided a computer for us to take apart and investigate.

He was able to tell me what all the bits did and my audience was quite uncritical, even the adults!

Still it went really well and they all seemed facinated. As long as you are careful to remove anything sharpe there is no reason not to let them poke around inside it as well.

Jane

I should have said that I tried to make it more understandable to them by equating the power cable to them eating ie giving energy (how can the computer get energy when it has no stomach and can't eat?) Then the processor to their brains, the keyboard to their hands etc. I also put the electricity safety point to both the children and the adults as well as saying fairly firmly DON'T go home and try to take mummy's computer to bits!!!

I did this activity on a course a while back. We had a box of junk (various fruit / veg tubs, eggboxes, bubble wrap, tissue, sponge - allsorts really) and we had to make a container that would safely hold an egg and then be dropped from a height of 1m without the egg breaking. The only condition was that you were able to see a little part of the egg once in its container.

It was good fun. We worked in groups and there was then obviously lots of language and discussion, as there would be with the kids.

May be a bit tricky, but it was good fun and no-one's egg broke!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)