Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Outside Play

Hey

just wonderered whether anyone has free flow play within baby room, how does it work?

what are the main benefits of outside for babies , and do your babies sleep outside?

Be interesting to hear your views.

I am very interested to see what response you get from this, as when I was a nursery manager I tried to set this up in my 0-2 room and the staff were very against this and would come up with every excuse they hated going out at the best of times but when the EY support teacher was in or area manager they would always put on a good show for them :o I was lucky if they had 10 mins throughout the day outside. I am no longer at the setting and the previous 0-2 lead is now the manager so as you can guess they dont go out. Sorry for sounding negative it is something I feel strongly about and now working from home as a childminder my little ones have lots of outdoor time and you can see how they benefit from outdoor experiences xD

Tink69

We have free flow even for babies, but we are lucky and have a door directly off the main play area into the garden. We do have to suggest going outside to them by going to the outside door and opening it a little. The children then soon come over to the door and the staff then grab their coats which are hung close by. Again the children quickly learn that if they go to the door the staff will let them back in again. Sometimes when they first start they are in and out like yo-yos, but it usually only lasts for a short time. I am clearly lucky that my baby room staff are very willing to take the children out every day and they are sensitive to the children and watch out for signs of them getting cold etc.

We are looking to develop our baby garden so I would love to hear any good ideas you all may have. Basically we want to increase the variety of textures, natural objects to explore and opportunities for them to experience the wind and weather.

Gruffalo2 :o

thanks - sounds like a familiar story all round. The staff are reluctant to go out because its cold! but the babies are crawling up to the patio doors and looking out and they just seem to miss so many great opportunities.

I suggested we take them out in the snow, but instead the snow was brought inside! its just not the same.

There is so much potential and its just not being used.

I have recently sent a questionairre out to the parents and am hoping that if they are keen for thier children to spend time outside it will have a positive effect on staff.

Do you face the same barriers in the summer???

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)