Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Skilful Communicator

Hi I was hoping someone might be able to give me a kick start. I have to write an essay on an activity to engage children with either their oracy, representation or literacy skills :o . I am aware they will all interlink and that's fine as long as I focus on one :wacko: . The main point is how the activity will assist in the development of these skills :( . I have to make links to theorists if possible xD. Lke I said any help would be great, :( really need a bit of a push to get me motivated on this one.

Thanks in advance x :(

This is a direct quote from a book "One of the most important contributions to understanding how children learn has been proposed through Vygotsky's (1978) model of the 'zone of proximal development'. His research suggested that learning takes place most effectively within a context of social interction through the joint construction of meaning. With the help of a more competent adult or peer, a child is able to move towards new learning (Vygotsky 1978). This idea also influenced the research of Jerome Bruner (1986)". It goes on ... Its from 'Unlocking Speaking and Listening. Deborah Jones, Pamela Hodson David Fulton Publishers 2006. Is this making any sense to you because I've forgotten what you've asked now!!! I'll go back to your posting and see.

As I pressed add reply I could see your posting at the bottom of the page - don't do this very often! One of the texts used in this book is the Gruffalo's child - develop the children's ability to listen with concentration, to use talk in order to plan, to work collaboratively and to act out the story. (I'm quoting again). Get the children to listen carefully to the description of the Big Bad Mouse in order to play the part - find a space move like the mouse - develop it further what would you say, what would be the look on the face of the mouse etc etc. Hope this helps in some small way. Good luck.

My FD research project was researching into the areas of play and seeing which supported and extended their speaking and listening skills the most. i observed and tallyed their ineractions; the role play area was the most important one in terms of social communication interactions. I got lots from Paley.

could you link with the gov inititive on communicating. the 'chatter matters' etc.

good luck

As I pressed add reply I could see your posting at the bottom of the page - don't do this very often! One of the texts used in this book is the Gruffalo's child - develop the children's ability to listen with concentration, to use talk in order to plan, to work collaboratively and to act out the story. (I'm quoting again). Get the children to listen carefully to the description of the Big Bad Mouse in order to play the part - find a space move like the mouse - develop it further what would you say, what would be the look on the face of the mouse etc etc. Hope this helps in some small way. Good luck.

Hi this all looks great, thanks. Had a few personal problems so not managed to start yet, but sure this will help loads when I get round to the assignment. cheers xx

My FD research project was researching into the areas of play and seeing which supported and extended their speaking and listening skills the most. i observed and tallyed their ineractions; the role play area was the most important one in terms of social communication interactions. I got lots from Paley.

could you link with the gov inititive on communicating. the 'chatter matters' etc.

good luck

I was originally considering using the home corner area, have not decided for sure yet as my mother in law is seriously ill in hospital and cant concentrate on my uni stuff at the moment. I will take all this into account when I do get round to it. Thanks for your help xx

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

I hope things are becoming easier for you with your assignment, and that your mother in law is getting better. How are you doing with your assignment, I am also doing a similar one but with mine I have to make a display using one area of CLL and linking to theorists which always stresses me out.

If I can be ofhelp just ask...........not sure I can help....but two heads are better than one as they say lol

Good Luck

Hi I was hoping someone might be able to give me a kick start. I have to write an essay on an activity to engage children with either their oracy, representation or literacy skills :o . I am aware they will all interlink and that's fine as long as I focus on one :wacko: . The main point is how the activity will assist in the development of these skills :( . I have to make links to theorists if possible xD. Lke I said any help would be great, :( really need a bit of a push to get me motivated on this one.

Thanks in advance x :(

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)