Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

What Should Reception Be Like?

Guest Cathryn1974

Guest Cathryn1974

Hello

I am new here. I have just returned to teaching after a 5 year break (have a young family). I have just taken up a part time Reception post in a school in special measures. Things are frantic. i got observed teaching a nurture / carpet session today for psrn and I did something on exploring their mathematical mark making. I was told the teachin was outstanding but because of their lack of progress in the 20 mintutes it got aa satisfactory.

Please can you tell me about any experiences you have of teaching the adult led stuff within the new eyfs. Should it be very structured or should it be very child centred. A little demoralised and more confused.

Would appreciate any feed back.

Thanks

Cat

Hi Cat

I dont think you can do anything too structured in Reception!!! We plan starting points/desired outcomes for our teacher-led activities but then hope that the children will lead the learning and carry it on in a way that interests them! We try to be as flexible as possible and adpat things to suit the children. I think it is about getting the right balance between teacher led and child initiated activities. I am sure you are doing a great job! Stick in!

Just wondering how much progress they were supposed to have made in 20 minutes?! Surely the fact that most judgements should come from child initiated activities, the children need time to revisit such activities in their own time and own way before they can demonstrate the progress they have made?! Or maybe it is just me that thinks the observation was harsh...

Guest Cathryn1974
Just wondering how much progress they were supposed to have made in 20 minutes?! Surely the fact that most judgements should come from child initiated activities, the children need time to revisit such activities in their own time and own way before they can demonstrate the progress they have made?! Or maybe it is just me that thinks the observation was harsh...

Thanks for that I felt so too especially as it is only my 6th day in the school! I now feel confused as to what is right. Shall I be a prescriptive kind of teacher in carpet sessions (you know that you would see higher up the school) where yes the children are active but it is mainly me doing the talking or do I take a back seat and allow them to explore ideas.

Not sure really.

Thanks for your .reply

If your teaching was outstanding then presumably it's the activity they had issues with. I would ask your observer how he or she would have taught the activity and measured the progress in such a short time.

They can't have it both ways - either learning is mainly child initiated, or it is not. If they want lots of measurable progress, you are going to have to do more adult directed stuff which goes against the whole EYFS ethos.

Sorry I know that's not much help!

its sounds to me like you are doing super, so i think you should carry on and its the observer who is confused, maybe they are not clear on what they should be seeing? x

I'm afraid when you are in special measures they expect you to jump through invisable hoops and pop a double twisting back flip in while your in the air. As you say you have only been there 6 days so it sounds like you have made a great start even if you feel deflated by the judgment. I say carry on with what you doing and the mud will become clearer.

To put it in prospective my niece teaches reception class in a school in special measures. She was 8 and half months pregnant trying to work as late as she could for the sake of the children when there was one of these fly-by observations. She was told the teaching was outstanding but was graded satisfacory because she was not mobile enough round the classroom!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)