Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Questions For Reception Teachers Regarding Transition To Reception

dear reception teachers,

i am interested in your views on transition documents from pre-school

can you answer the following questions please?

what do you think of the record of transfer from pre-schools?

what do you think is the best way to have information about children's previous learning from pre-school?

thanks bumblbee

Edited by bumblbee

Hi

From experience i think i only had documents on 6 of my 27 children last year. The document passed on was the children's learning journeys. But these were time consuimng to look at.

Ideally i think that the teacher should be able to visit pre-school settings and have the whole picture on the child. Also somehow get an overview on where they are on the profile.

Hi,

This year I had information for all 14 of my intake - I also managed to visit the preschools for 13 of them - (I wasn't able to get information on where one child was.)

I found the preschool information useful from all bar one preschool (I think I has about 6). Most gave me just the preschool transfer from - which was fine with the preschool visit. One preschool gave me much more information, which I did find really really useful, as it painted an accurate picture of that child.

I believe the best information is a good visit with the child's preschool and a chat with their key person. I found visiting the preschool very useful - seeing what the children were used to - how preschool was laid out, behaviour expectations of them. It was so eye opening. there are some amazing preschools out there (but unfortunately there are some terrible ones - unless my expectations are way too high!) I was able to identify those children who were extra shy, those who were used to the similar style that I try to build on in reception - and those who were going to have to have some boundaries. It was lovely to watch the child interact with their peers - just such a shame that in most cases they were the only one from their preschool coming.

Hope this helps,

Emily

Hope this helps,

Emily

thanks emily and sunai for your replies they have shown how important it is for you to see the child in their pre-school setting.

i really hope to improve our links with primary schools as we seem to get very few teachers visit us. Is it hard for you to get cover to visit pre-schools how do you organise this?

thanks again

bumblbee